Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New user - inherited lots of Pentax gear to sell

Hi. My name is Kevin, and I'm managing the estate for a cousin who, among other pursuits, was a Pentax enthusiast.

Seeing how there is a community here dedicated to Pentax, I thought I might list the items in the marketplace forum, but wanted any advice so I don't inadvertently make somebody there frustrated.

I'm accustomed to listing things on ebay and craigslist, but not in this forum, and I had a few questions:
- Regarding the donation to sell, I'm thinking $10 seems fair, and I hope to get this wound up in a month. Any other suggestions?
- I have two camera bodies (one digital, one film) and 5 or 6 lenses. individual listings or as a group?
- I'm a casual photographer, and can get overwhelmed by jargon of the more expert users. Will that be a problem?
- Any pitfalls I should look out for on international buyers, etc (I'm based in the US).

Thanks for any advice

--Kevin

08-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bblindner Quote
Hi. My name is Kevin, and I'm managing the estate for a cousin who, among other pursuits, was a Pentax enthusiast.

Seeing how there is a community here dedicated to Pentax, I thought I might list the items in the marketplace forum, but wanted any advice so I don't inadvertently make somebody there frustrated.

I'm accustomed to listing things on ebay and craigslist, but not in this forum, and I had a few questions:
- Regarding the donation to sell, I'm thinking $10 seems fair, and I hope to get this wound up in a month. Any other suggestions?
- I have two camera bodies (one digital, one film) and 5 or 6 lenses. individual listings or as a group?
- I'm a casual photographer, and can get overwhelmed by jargon of the more expert users. Will that be a problem?
- Any pitfalls I should look out for on international buyers, etc (I'm based in the US).

Thanks for any advice

--Kevin

You should be able to get this wound up in a month without a problem.

I would list everything individually as you'll almost certainly get more money than trying to sell everything as a group.

As far as jargon and getting overwhelmed by "experts", I would describe the lens as best you can, take lots of picture for the ad, and just be prepared to answer questions to the best of your ability. There are lots of very friendly people on here who wold be more than happy to assist you in that regard.

I've sent a lot of stuff internationally to over two-dozen countries and haven't had any major issues. Unless the item you're selling is very inexpensive, you'll most likely want to use Express/EMS shipping from USPS. It generally costs around $30-40, but comes with full tracking, insurance and take about a week. First class is the other option, but there's no tracking, nor insurance, and the amount of time it takes can be anywhere from 1 week to a month or more (not common, but it happens). Otherwise, for domestic shipping, I would recommend Priority Mail from USPS as your best option (generally between $5-10 w/o insurance).

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help you out.
08-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I call dibs Send me list of the items first so I can see if there is anything I want, then maybe you can list the rest in the market place
08-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've got some good advice so far. And I am sure many on the forum appreciate you allowing us "first crack" at the gear.
Since you say you have listed on eBay before you should know that pictures always help. You need not post twelve pictures of one lens but a few good pictures of the lenses and or bodies is always preferred. Look at a few listings in The Marketplace, of course, to get ideas of what we respond to. Be sure to show us a bit of your reputation or feedback from eBay or any other online auctions.
Have a look through the forum's reviews and The Marketplace sections to get ideas of pricing. If it is good stuff and priced fairly, the stuff should sell itself.

If it is really good stuff... Well, be as diplomatic as you can when deciding the ultimate buyer.

08-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A lot of people seem to have one thread in the market place for multiple items. You would just list each item and what you want to sell it for. Not really any point in selling them as a package deal unless you find a buyer that wants all of it.