Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Hi from the UK

Hi Everyone

I've just won a ME Super on ebay so decided to sign up to get a little heads up on my new camera while I'm waiting for it to be delivered. This will be my first SLR, although I first started becoming interested in photography a few years ago. So far I've mainly been using pinhole cameras that I've made myself from various household objects, I also have a few 'cheap-n-old' cameras, such as a Halina 1000, a Boots Beirette BL abd a Coronet Twelve-20 so spending anything more than about £10-15 (but not much more ) on a camera is a big step for me.

Really can't wait for my new toy to arrive so I can start having a play, until then I guess I'll just lurk around the forums!

Cheers

Dan

08-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pruvaloo Quote
Hi Everyone

I've just won a ME Super on ebay so decided to sign up to get a little heads up on my new camera while I'm waiting for it to be delivered. This will be my first SLR, although I first started becoming interested in photography a few years ago. So far I've mainly been using pinhole cameras that I've made myself from various household objects, I also have a few 'cheap-n-old' cameras, such as a Halina 1000, a Boots Beirette BL abd a Coronet Twelve-20 so spending anything more than about £10-15 (but not much more ) on a camera is a big step for me.

Really can't wait for my new toy to arrive so I can start having a play, until then I guess I'll just lurk around the forums!

Cheers

Dan
If the rest of your camera is O.K. you might check the light seals. It is quite common that cameras of this age are not light proof anymore. Light can enter beside the film door clap and damage or destroy the latent picture. Light seals can be purchased online quite cheap and if you are a handy man you can replace them yourself.

Cheers,
D.
08-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advance warning, that's definitely something I will check out. Is there a quick/easy way to test the seals, as I'd prefer to save myself the bother of shooting and developing a roll of film just to check if at all possible? (chances are if I had the camera in my hand the answer would be obvious but I'm kind of shooting in the dark at the moment until it arrives)
08-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pruvaloo Quote
Thanks for the advance warning, that's definitely something I will check out. Is there a quick/easy way to test the seals, as I'd prefer to save myself the bother of shooting and developing a roll of film just to check if at all possible? (chances are if I had the camera in my hand the answer would be obvious but I'm kind of shooting in the dark at the moment until it arrives)
You can make a inspection by opening the film door, but the problem with this method is you need something to compare with, like an intact camera. You have to be very precise when checking because even a tiny leak can ruin your later shots.

Best way to check is to make some shots of course! By this occasion you can test also all the mechanical and electronic parts of the camera. I would highly recommend to do so before you start using the camera for real. Take a half of a roll which you probably have lying around if you are film shooter. When shooting don't let it be something very precious (ideal would be a wall in dark tones) and try shooting ways that direct light hits the camera from behind and from either sides.

Cheers,
D.