Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
NEW to the Forum, but need help with the K-5

Hi everyone! Very impressive site. So big it is a bit intimidating.

I have been a Pentaxian since 1968 or so (yes, I am old!) I loved Pentax because of the small light bodies and simple metering system. I don't like the camera to think for me! And yes, all my art friends had Nikons so I was the "underdog".

Later, in the 1970s my Pentax Spotmatic was perfect to take in my backpack with only two lenses to photograph the mountains for over a week.

I am now a free lance semi-pro still doing wild lanscapes and also fitness models (a form of wildlife!) before they compete on stage. Because Pentax became non-competitive with Canon and Nikon for a long time (thanks finally for the K-5!) I wound up purchasing a Nikon system for pro use. I also bought a Pentax K10D as back up since I still have lots of Pentax lenses. The images on the K10 were not as good as the Nikons D200 and D300 I am still using.

A am now all excited about tjhe K-5 which everyone is raving about (about time!) I plan to buy one soon. So here is my question that I hope someone can answer:

The Nikons produce high resolution pictures at 300ppi (the printing standard)
The Pentax K10D produces high res pictures at only 72ppi (internet standard)
WHAT ARE THE PPIs OF THE NEW K-5 AT THE HIGHEST RESOLUTION?????
It is not in any of the manuals.
HELP!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
08-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ppi is irrelevant as you set the ppi(dpi) based on desired output. the K10 has a file size of 3872 x 2592. the jpeg output shows 72dpi, but you just need to convert it to 300dpi for print if your prints were done at 72dpi i'm not surprised they look worse than the D200, which in reality has very similar output to the K10 (the d300 should be better it's a newer generation
The File size on the K5 is 4928 x 3264 (16.3MP)
You can specify the PPi on import in some programs (Typically I shoot raw so I specify at the output stage after I've done my post processing based on where i'm sending the file (the nice thing about Lightroom is it remembers all the adjustments with the raw file so if i output for web initially but decide to print later i can just output another file spec'd the way i want
08-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks!!!!!

Thanks a bunch Eddie, for the quick reply! I do change the files to 300dpi from 72 but there is slight loss of resolution. I was wondering if the K5 outputs at 300 dpi when shooting at 16Mps? The Nikons do that without any conversions.
Thanks again!
08-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPI is strictly used for printing- it controls how tightly you pack the image on the page. It's not something that the camera outputs.

Normally, prior to printing, you would upsample the image so that it looks better on a larger sheet of paper. This doesn't actually increase the resolution, although it does increase the number of pixels in your file.

If you take a 4928 x 3264 K-5 image and print at 72 dpi, the pixel density would be lower than at 300 dpi.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: