Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi from the UK

Hi, just getting back into photography after about 25 years!! Me and my ME super used to be inseperable in my younger days (i'm 46 now and i still have the ME). Decided to join the digital age now and obviously looking at pentax equipment (although every magazine i pick up is full of canon and nikon articles) I am particularly interested in taking photos at night so any advice on a good pentax set up would be appreciated.

I am liking the look of the K-5 and fortunately (at the moment) i can afford one. But i'm thinking maybe due to my inexperience with dslr's i may be better off starting with a simpler/cheaper model?

Thanks for reading

09-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've definitely come at the right time- the K-5 just fell to $1199 for a good while!
Pentax K-5 - $300 instant rebate - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

The main difference between the K-5 and the K-r (those are your two choices if you're looking for a new body), apart from image quality of course, is the number of external buttons and the build quality.

You'll find the K-5 to feature a much more solid construction (which incorporates weather sealing), two e-dials, a top LCD, and a handful of buttons so that you don't have to go digging in the menus as much. As far as shooting modes go, both cameras support all the basic modes (P, Sv, Av, Tv, M, B), but the K-r also has a bunch of scene modes for beginners. Their menu system and interface is almost identical.

The biggest advantage in my eyes are the two e-dials- they make manual / hyper program shooting much easier, and also streamline image viewing on the LCD.

If you know your basics (which I'm sure you do), I don't think the K-5 would overwhelm you

See our reviews for an in-depth look at both bodies:
Pentax K-5 - Review
Pentax K-r - Review

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago, same country, same age too .

Go K-5, you'll soon pick it up, it's a bit daunting at first but doesn't take long. You'd regret not getting it and getting the K-r - K-5 is the better choice for night work because 1) no mandatory NR after 30s (startrails etc) 2) good high ISO capability (milky way shots etc). Pentax is a pretty good choice because there are lots of manual lenses around cheap as chips so you can have a lot of fun trying out different stuff. Also new Pentax astrotracer thing (device that will shift the CMOS chip in a Pentax DSLR's vibration reduction unit to track stars in long exposure)
09-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
The K-5 will impress you, and for that price it's good value for money.
With the money you save, you can get yourself decent lenses to go with it.

09-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in the same position as you and posted something similar back in March. Hadn't done much for 25 years, certainly not digital and still had my two MX bodies and 4-5 lenses. In the end I went for the K5 with the 16-45 and 55-300 lenses rather than the kit ones(a little bit more than I initially intended to spend). Absolutely the right decision for me and I can use my original primes as well.

Go straight for the K5 if you can afford it. You'll regret it if you don't. It takes a while but if you want to know anything a lot of the guys on here are very knowledgeable and extremely helpful.
09-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies guys, i think i am going to go for the K5 and sink or swim!!

No doubt you will be hearing from me soon on the forum ..... probably asking for help!!!
09-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #7

i am interested to hear your opinion on the k5

09-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #8

Hi Nightshot

Don't forget that the K7 is still available new from Warehouse Express. Mine, recently acquired from Digital depot was £499 (used).
Cheers

Rondonc
09-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 isn't that great for astro/night stuff though (I have one). Mandatory NR above 30s, noisy above 800 iso
09-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Artpart. New Member

Hi Adam & All

I'm new to this forum. My main camera was, (Still have it with various Lens,
filters etc,) Me Super. 1981 vintage. Still in excellent condition although not
pratical these days when one has the PC/Laptop to do the developing!! and
printing!!, I need a "DSLR" and have a preference for the "K-r"
with Lens DAL 18-55mm/DAL 50-200mm. I have spoken to Pentax and have been
assured that all my existing Pentax Lens, Filters etc. will fit the K-r. Be it manual,
"not auto". Has anyone any preference to settings: Auto or manual?.
By the way: I,m in my 85th year. My wife and I Still enjoy our 80 odd mile trips to
our Caravan on the south coast.

Cheers Art
London UK,