Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #1

New from Phoenix, Arizona

Good to be a part of this forum. I came from a Pentax heritage - M42 Spotmatic and MX - and am currently Olympus-centered but am saving for a K5. Going to LA in the near future. Any hints on who has K5's there? Photo Forum here in Phx has Pentax (only store that does) but doesn't stock K5.

I'm keeping my Oly gear - I really like it - but their dSLR line is a dead end. I think Pentax, especially with their merge with Ricoh, has some interesting possibilities. So, this will be fun.

Best regards to all. John

09-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome John!

I don't know who'd stock Pentax in LA; hopefully someone else would know!
09-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here John.
All the best in finding yourself a K-5 - it's well worth it.
09-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #4

gday and welcome

09-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Samy's Camera carries Pentax. That was my first stop when I lived in LA. Store Locations here

I am going to Phx next weekend. Any recommended place for a monopod or tripod?
09-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! Is your "Going to LA in the near future" permanent or must you return to that broiling cesspit? (I'm often in Bisbee or Tucson or Prescott or Flag, living or visiting; nobody I know likes Phoenix.) Yes, Pentax-Ricoh looks to have an interesting future. Canon is in the cross-hairs...
09-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
Samy's Camera carries Pentax. That was my first stop when I lived in LA. Store Locations here

I am going to Phx next weekend. Any recommended place for a monopod or tripod?
Photo Forum at 7th Street and Camelback. about the only real camera store in Phoenix. Tempe Camera is also an excellent store in Tempe
09-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ii
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Welcome aboard! Is your "Going to LA in the near future" permanent or must you return to that broiling cesspit? (I'm often in Bisbee or Tucson or Prescott or Flag, living or visiting; nobody I know likes Phoenix.) Yes, Pentax-Ricoh looks to have an interesting future. Canon is in the cross-hairs...
i'm just visiting my sister in LA. NO way I'd live there. But the only camera store in Phx that has Pentax doesn't carry the K5.But at least they have something. None of the good camera stores stock Olympus...but thats another story.

09-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #9

I bought one of if not the only K5 Foto Forum had, as well as their only Pentax lens, the 12-24mm wide angle (wonderful lens by the way). Good store. But Pentax makes it's hard for them to sell them. Hopefully Ricoh will turn that around as they would like to sell more.
09-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #10

Original Poster
I'm glad to hear they had one, at least. I know Randy from the f22 group he leads. It's tought if you're looking at something besides Canikon. They have 80% of the market on a bad day and Sony's got about five to seven. I'm hoping that Foto Forum gets some support. Tempe Camera's not gonna stock anything outside of Canikon and I'm real pessimistic about Photomark's chances. That's where I bought my first Oly gear, but they're no stocking much of anything now.
09-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
One question: on your 12 - 24, how much barreling do you get? I'm guessing I'll end up with an 18 mm start on a zoom, but I'd like a bit more width. Is there a point where you get essentially a rectillinear image, or do you have to get to PP to do that? I'm sure it barrels at least to 14 mm, but if I looked pretty straight after that, I'd be fine.

I'm not doing brick walls, so this is not an obsession, but it would be nice to have things fairly straight without a lot of PP. Thanks for giving me a second bite at the apple.
09-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #12

12-24

I think this was taken at 12mm shortly after buying the lens. Which should be much better than trying to describe the results. I've also taken pictures of motorcycles and the forks are not curved like on with my fisheye, There is a bit of pin cushion.

This photo is straight out of iPhoto with no tweaking.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
A picture is worth 1000 words!

with those bricks, no less! That's pretty impressive, actually. I go wide before I go long, so after that first zoom, that's going to be the lens I save for.

Many thanks for the informative response. All the best!
09-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #14

I like the fish eye but in no time at all the fish eye effect grows tiresome. sigh. At first I had rejected this lens as it duplicated too much of what I had but after reading the reviews and wanting to become better at landscapes I decided to pull the trigger. After using it I wonder why I waited.

This was taken at the VLA in New Mexico a couple weekends ago and may be more informative. You see some distortion near the bottom of the pictures with the concrete piers so in that regard you could say this is about as bad as it gets at 12mm. I wish I had posted it earlier!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #15

Original Poster
Sharp and not objectionably barreled. And shot at 800. One more reason I'm moving to Pentax. With my older Olympuses, 400 is about as far as you can go without NR processing. Many thanks for the two perspectives: your's and the lens's.