Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

New Pentax user

Hi, I am Darlene. I just bought a Pentax K-r with the 18-55 and the 50-200. No problems with it that I can see.and am very happy with it. I also own Nikon gear. Plan to use both Nikon and Pentax and neither will compete with the other. Have a D50 and a D70. I am here to learn more about my camera and the Pentax lenses. So far, I really like it a lot.

09-06-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Thank you, Shallop!
09-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! Yeah, we're just full of info. Some of it is even true. Have fun!
09-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have you here Darlene.
Hope you continue to enjoy our company and find the forum useful.
Enjoy your photography.

09-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thank you, Ash. I look forward to learning a lot.
09-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome Darlene!

I was wondering why you didn't get more Nikkor lenses instead of acquiring a second system? Not that I don't believe in the Pentax system, but why maintain two systems rather than focusing on one?

In any event, have a lot of fun with your Pentax gear. Note that while the 18-55 is quite competent as a kit lens, it will somewhat limit your photography. The 50-200 is a budget lens as well and not very highly regarded. Perhaps try to get a fast prime like a fast fifty sometime soon and you'll see the difference a lens can make.
09-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Class A, My D70 is about 7 years old and so I was looking to add a newer body; however, Nikon didn't give me an easy upgrade. I have three primes and a 28/200G that are non-DX and thus do not work with the D3100 or the D5100. I would have to go all the way up to the D7000. That was more money than I cared to spend right now. I don't have so much invested in Nikon glass that I could not go to a different brand. I read about the K-r and liked it. I have always liked Pentax. The price was right. I wanted the fast burst speed, the live view, the dust sensor cleaner and the better high iso. I am content to stay with the kit lenses for now and buy a 35 mm F2.7 prime for it. Meanwhile I will read and study looking for a possible future Pentax lens. I have been with Nikon for a long time as I started with the 995 Coolpix, and will still be shooting their cameras as well.
09-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by darlene Nik-Pen Quote
Hi Class A, My D70 is about 7 years old and so I was looking to add a newer body; however, Nikon didn't give me an easy upgrade.
Yeah, I think Nikon are shooting themselves into the foot by crippling their entry level camera models. The D40's inability to autofocus with any but the most modern lenses was one of the reasons why I went with a K100D instead.

I don't have so much invested in Nikon glass that I could not go to a different brand.
Makes sense.

I am content to stay with the kit lenses for now and buy a 35 mm F2.7 prime for it. Meanwhile I will read and study looking for a possible future Pentax lens.
The 35/2.4 is a nice lens. AFAIC, it should have been a 35/1.8 but it nevertheless takes nice images. If you come across a used FA 50/1.4 for a good price, snap it up. Lovely lens which used to be priced at $199 before Hoya decided they needed to drastically increase the price.

Feel free to start your own thread when looking for lens advice and indicate what area of photography you'll intend to cover with it. The forum has a very nice collection of lens reviews. Don't forget the third party manufacturers. Tamron make some great but affordable zooms and Sigma offers more options then Pentax themselves (including some very, very nice primes).

09-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks, Class A. Appreciate the advice. My mistake f2.4 not f2.7. I remember a long time ago the Pentax used an F mount and could also use Nikon lenses (was I dreaming this?). I didn't buy my K-r because of this, but am wondering now if there is an adaptor that would allow my Nikon lenses to be used. What I have essentially are the newer of the film lenses, the AF versions, except for the two DX kit lenses. This is a real longshot and I wasn't planning on it. I might need to ask this in the lens forum. I have the 35 mm f2 prime, the 50 mm f1.8 prime, and the 85 f1.8 prime, and the 28-200G.

Last edited by Darlene; 09-06-2011 at 07:05 PM.
09-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Found my answer

Never mind on the lens question. I found the answer here in the lens forum.. Some of the older AI lenses might work but the newer AF do not. The electronics are different. Thanks.
09-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes, optical AI-PK adapters exist. These act as short telextenders and will degrade image quality somewhat. AI and non-AI lenses can be modified for PK fit, but probably won't be usable on Nikon cameras again. I've done a few such mods. I considered modding a N/AF but decided that would be too complicated and chancy, so I sold that lens for a good profit instead. Manual-focus lenses in various mounts can be adapted or modded for PK, but not autofocus lenses. Oh bother...
09-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the information, RioRico. Appreciate it.
09-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Your Conservative take is quite apt
09-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks, Lyle.
09-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
One more thing

I just wanted to add that the camera that uses the F-mount of Nikon is Fujifilm. In an earlier question in this thread, I was thinking it might be Pentax. Have my sights on the 35 f2.4 prime as my next Pentax lens; maybe next month. Thanks for all your help. Loving my K-r.