Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter

First post

This is my first post, but I have been “lurking” for quite a while. I have always had a love for photography. I started with my father’s old Minolta 35mm. My own first SLR was a Pentax MX, bought December of 1979 in anticipation of the birth of our first child. I was still using the camera in 2007. At that time I was a part time artist with a full time job. I used the MX mainly to take pictures for (and of) my artwork, as well as family photos. I had tried some point and shoot digital cameras and the clarity I needed just could not compare to the MX, but using film, it slowed my art process. My family decided I needed to go digital and in Dec. 2007, they surprised me with a new digital SLR camera, the K100D super (BTW: The MX is still going strong).As an amateur, I have been pleased with this little camera. This past year I retired from my full time job and I have more time to devote to photgraphy. With all the new cameras out I was actually thinking I might need to upgrade and that is how I found this forum. After reading all the threads regarding this little camera, I decided that maybe I just needed to explore it and all its functions a bit more.
I enrolled in a photography class this fall. Our first class, 25 of us walked into the classroom, with cameras in tow. We were asked to take a seat, take our camera and place it on top of the desk with its manual. And there I sat, surrounded by Nikon and Canon… the only Pentax in the room. During introductions, we had to give our names, a little background info and the type of camera we had. After I introduced myself the teacher, I guess he sensed my anxiety, added… “and please, none of us are to be fooled by that little camera, it’s a little thoroughbred in every sense of the word.”

09-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums, a fine story there and proof that it not the camera but the person behind it that makes the shot. Good luck in your course.
09-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ive been a Pentax user for years . Just for fun look around old camera stores an see if you can find some old Pentax lens thats the fun part you can go manual . Get some old zoom lens they work on your camera .Am shooting my old k1000 film lens.
09-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome.

I have been using some of the old lens from the MX, in particular the Takumar135mm f2.5. I have had mixed results but it is all a learning curve

09-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started shooting in the late '70s and even more in the early '80s with my Father's full-manual Minolta. It seemed so easy then! He bought a Sony but I don't think he's adapted any of his very nice glass yet.

Welcome aboard!
« Greeting | PJW »