Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D Sensor spoil

Hi All...

I've been using my K20D for my work ever since i bought it in early 2010. I've been taking care of the camera with ultra care ever since i have it. It has never been dropped or mishandled in anyway at all. But suddenly while doing my work using it 2 months ago, a vertical band suddenly appear on the right hand side of the images. It is a very visible line that stretches from top to the bottom of the images taken. I've taken it to the Pentax official distributor here in my country (Malaysia) and they said that my sensor is spoilt. And the advice given to me is to just change the camera or upgrade the camera to a newer model due to the repair cost will be very expensive.

It is very heart wrenching because i really like using Pentax camera due to the great colour that produced on the images taken. It makes the images taken suitable to be used in my line of work that is publishing coffee table books.

Is there anyway for me to get a replacement sensor or even replace the camera together at a very cheap cost. Hope any fellow Pentaxisn or even PENTAX itself would be able to help me out here.

Will always LOVE using Pentax.

Pusakgaoq

09-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do you shoot Raw ?

If this happen when you shot in RAW only, don't worry then.

This black band have always existed in RAW, but it should not appear. If so, it just mean the program you are using to see your RAW isn't up to date, or doesn't completely support your RAW.

If this happen is JPEG too, try to use to menu that speaks about "dead pixel" (i don't know if this exist on K20, i know it existe on K7-K5 / K-x-Kr).

Or, if you have some, use the warranty ?
09-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Aurele,

It happens when shooting both RAW & JPEG. Unfortunately this camera has no more warranty. I've checked with the technician from Pentax, and they said that the sensor is damaged and the only way to solve it is to replace the sensor. The replacement sensor from Pentax will be very expensive due to the fact that parts will need to be ordered from Japan. It is really heart wrenching knowing that it will be very hard to replace due to high cost. I may even opt to change system due to this issue.

I am still hoping anyone would be able to help me with this problem either by donating a replacement sensor or even any solutions at all... really appreciate.

still hanging on to be a Pentaxian.

Pusakgaoq
09-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pusakgaoq Quote
I am still hoping anyone would be able to help me with this problem either by donating a replacement sensor or even any solutions at all.
sadly i think there is no such solution

QuoteOriginally posted by pusakgaoq Quote
I may even opt to change system due to this issue.
do you have many lense ?

It could cost you an arm and leg if you have to change a big set up.

Maybe you could find your happiness either on ebay or on the market place ?

09-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's more expensive to repair than to replace.
You may as well get yourself a K-7 or a K-5
Used K20D's go for quite cheap nowadays.
Check the marketplace here.