Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
PJW

I am in the process of purchasing a Pentax K5 from London Camera Exchange, DPReview says such good things about it there's seems to be no competition. They have given me a reasonable price for my Panasonic GF1 kit, which is a beautiful pocket camera but I am missing SLR too much. I have enjoyed using the 20mm pancake lens very much, it's image quality is mind blowing, especially at the local theatre on dress nights for the publicity boards (no flash) allowed during the show to spoil the depth of field. I need the same possibilities with the K5 so I think the 40mm limited will deal with this area for me but please, please which zoom lens do I buy. I gather the kit lens is not the best where do I go for a moderate zoom to cover close up, portraits and landscapes? I have been looking at Sigma 17-70mm is this preferable to Pentax. Help. Advice needed soon please!

Ps. I am not a very well informed technical guy but I have taken good pictures in the past and I paint for a hobby. Yes I am retired and looking forward to a great new chapter with the new camera but if anyone can help me in making the right purchase it would be much appreciated. Retirement (financially) means making the right choice first time.

Sorry just to fill in a little I have been a graphic designer during which time I took many photos for exhibition and brochure work all with Nikon D200 etc. But I convinced that Pentax is the route to travel, so I know someone out there will be able to advise.

09-13-2011, 04:15 AM   #2

There isn't much sense IMO in going from Nikon to Pentax for the zooms. Pentax' real strength are the Limited Series primes. So if you like compact primes, as you noted, then Pentax can make you really very happy.
09-14-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
PJW
Inactive Account

Original Poster
dragra

Thanks for response and as you say Pentax has a reputation for primes and with the 20mm Panasonic I am used to it is a great way to gather top quality pictures. There are other times (when as a doddering old fool with less leg capacity that in my younger days) when I could do with bringing the world a little closer. I am looking at the 17-70mm do you know this beast and is it worthy?

PJW
09-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That 17-70 is well-regarded. The forum here has great reviews and databases for you to read.
I'd look to buy the 17-70 myself, but I think I'll get the 18-135 for its weather-resistance.

You'll love the K-5 in low-light situations, pictures indoors without flash prove its worth.

09-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
PJW
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks TER-OR

It is good to have reassurance about the camera I will buy the 17-70mm is there any mileage in buying the Sigma version or stay in house. I will also get the 40mm Limited.

PJW
09-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma has better motors, from what I've read it's a bit more reliable than the Pentax offering. It gets slightly better reviews. I don't own either, so I'm only going by what I've read. 17-70 does seem like a very useful range.
09-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
PJW
Inactive Account

Original Poster
TER-OR

Thanks again for your help. I have spoken with Nicky at SRS today and I will go to Watford on Tuesday next ( they have offered a much better part ex rate) to buy K5 and Sigma lens.
Best wishes

PJW