Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

New member here

Hi my name is Beth and I volunteer at our local Public Access Channel in Clearlake, CA. I just bought a used Pentax KX and am now wondering two things. First ... how do I get the video to work in color? Right now it's stuck in B/W. Hopefully it isn't broken but the stills work beautifully which leads me to my second question. I have a Takumar-a zoom that I bought for my Ricoh manual and while I followed the instructions on how to make it work with the Pentax per forum I can't get it to work properly. Now it does allow the shutter to click while "ON" but the images don't appear on the SD card. Am I out of luck with this manual lense?

Beth

09-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Beth, and welcome! I can't help with the video question, but that Tak-A should work well on your Kx. You've set Use Aperture Ring to Permitted; have you set the lens' aperture ring to A? And what metering mode are you in? If you're in M(anual) at f/22 and 1/6000 second, pictures will be a bit dark, yes. The Tak-A should work in all the auto modes (Av, Tv, Sv, Green).
09-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Aperture Ring

I am confused as to what the Aperture ring A is. Is it a separate piece? I see on the lens the letter A in red coloring that I matched up with the red A on the camera. The pdf manual I have isn't clear what the aperture ring is. If you could direct me to the right spot in the manual I'd appreciate it.

Beth
09-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The aperture ring is the ring with numbers on it in the neighborhood of say maybe 2 4 5.6 8 11 16 22 and the letter A next to the A should be a small button to release the ring on and out of the A. The Aperture ring allows you to set the aperture on the lens instead of the camera. With the lens off the camera look into the back of the lens. When you turn the aperture ring you should see the aperture blades open and close . With all that said I do not know your particular lens so the numbers may be different that the ones I listed but some of them should be there on the ring The ring should alsom be the closest to the camera body

09-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yee Haw!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! It works now. You are wonderful! I never noticed that that little red button was a button. No wonder I'm concerned with focusing ... need new glasses!

Only problem now is the video mode in black and white. Any thoughts on that?

Beth
09-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #6

Texas Houston

Hi, I'm the K100d user. I live in Houston.
My favorite shoot is taking my 11month daughter.
I hope to learn more about my camera.
09-18-2011, 03:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Beth, and also yoterry! Beth, glad you got your Tak working; sorry I can't help with the video issue. yoterry, this is a great place to learn and share.

09-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Beth, and hope you enjoy the forum.
09-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
Kx b/w video problem

Thank you all for the welcome and welcome to you Terry. Treasure those photos of your little one and don't forget to make prints. I have photos back when my daughter was a toddler from the old film cameras some 26 years ago. Back then we didn't have digital to rely on but the upside that you HAD to develop the film to see what you had, with digital one can get lazy and just shoot and shoot and shoot without printing ... at least at the beginning when ink cost so much. Wow. How the digital world is changing so fast even now. My first digital camera was/is a Kodax Easy Share 7mp with a Schneider lens. I've been taking lots of photos with it to put on our local public access channel but was unhappy with the pixellation problem with the jpegs. I thought 1mb was big enough but now have discovered the raw formatting translated into tiffs makes for better pictures for the TV. Big files ... 72mb are lovely. I can hardly wait for the development over the next few years with consumer digital video cameras. I don't feel like shelling out two grand right now for a digital video especially when the trend is expensive first then a couple years later reasonable pricing.

I noticed that when I run the video part of my camera it makes a running sound that is captured along with what you're shooting, is that normal for the camera? I am still wondering WHY it's in black and white and not color ... unless the previous owner did something and then forgot what setting he put it on. When I saw the example he posted it was in color. Very frustrating but am still happy, happy, happy that my manual zoom is now working as it means my macro lenses will also work and I can go back to shooting closeups of my embroidery work. Life was so sad when my old Ricoh SLR's film winder thingy broke and no one has the part to fix it.
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by laketv8 Quote
First ... how do I get the video to work in color? Right now it's stuck in B/W.
I found this answer at mypentaxkx.tumblr.com
"Flick your K-x on and switch it over to movie mode, once movie mode starts you’ll notice some icons on the lcd screen. You’ll see a movie camera icon on the top left to the right of that you’ll notice a speaker icon to indicate audio is on as well. To the right of those two icons is what counts though, on my K-x I have a cloud icon (so I get a better shot in shoddy weather and next to that is the black and white icon which should be a bold BW, if you see this you’re in black & white mode.

To remedy this issue press the menu button. Your menu button should bring you to the number 3 tab in the movie menu. From here press the WB button which is also “left” for the menu screen until you’re on the 1 tab. If you look in the 1 menu you’ll notice the 1st option is called “custom image” this is where your issue lies. Press down on the D-pad which is also the button with the lightning bolt and highlight “custom image”. Now press right on the D-pad which is also the ISO button. This will bring you to another menu and you’ll notice the left is highlighted green and should say BW press either right/left on the D-pad now and it will show all the movie modes that are preset depending on what you’re shooting, “bright” I believe is the standard option.
"
QuoteOriginally posted by yoterry Quote
Hi, I'm the K100d user.
Hi, the K100D is still a great camera!
You may want to visit my "Tips and Tricks article" for the K100D.
09-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
Video problem solved

You guys are such angels to us newbies. The problem is solved by your generousness for sharing information. I will keep reading to understand my camera better.

Beth
09-20-2011, 03:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yoterry
Welcome to the Forums