Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #1

Full Frame DSLR

Hi,
I've used a PEntax MX for many trouble free years and have grown used to the large bright view finder. Whilst I embrace the many advantages of digital, I don't want to replace my camera with one with an inferior viewfinder. I realise there are other makes with FF but I want to continue to use my original lenses. I know exactly what exposure settings to use and don't need auto focus. Does anyone know if there will be a Pentax FF DSLR any time soon?

This is a great forum and I hope to become a long term participant.

Adrian.

09-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spacebandit Quote
Does anyone know if there will be a Pentax FF DSLR any time soon?
You'll find loads of speculation and opinion (often heated) on that topic here. Which is to say, no one (around here) actually knows. (A recent thread.)

There's always Live View, and one forum member recently pointed out how well the old lenses work on the new mirrorless systems.

Welcome to the forums; hope you enjoy getting involved with the great community here.
09-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, a new Pentax FF dSLR will be announced with the Ricoh takeover on 1 October. I know this is true because the voices in my head said so. I always listen to my voices. They tell me to say HELLO to you, and not to worry about your cat. Huh? What? [/me listens more closely] Oh sorry, you're the wrong person; that's somebody else's cat. Anyway, welcome to the funhouse!
09-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Rico you have been here to long, your minds going

09-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
There's always Live View, and one forum member recently pointed out how well the old lenses work on the new mirrorless systems.
But is there a mirrorless camera with in-body image stabilisation and in-built EVF? Not that I've found, yet.

I share your pain spacebandit -- I've been loving "my" borrowed K10D, but I pulled out my OM10 the other day and was blown away by what I'm missing both in terms of viewfinder quality and also in terms of size and styling.

Olympus fixed size and styling with the E-PEN series, but threw the baby out with the bath water by doing away with the SLR optical viewfinder system without replacing it with an equivalent in-built electronic alternative. (And no I don't really consider that expensive proboscis accessory EVF to be a viable proposition.) I can't see how the lack of mirror is a positive. The few mm it saves are fairly minor compared to the space savings made elsewhere in the design.
09-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, a new Pentax FF dSLR will be announced with the Ricoh takeover on 1 October. I know this is true because the voices in my head said so.
Have they not said the same thing for about 10 years?
09-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spacebandit Quote
Hi,
I've used a PEntax MX for many trouble free years and have grown used to the large bright view finder. Whilst I embrace the many advantages of digital, I don't want to replace my camera with one with an inferior viewfinder. I realise there are other makes with FF but I want to continue to use my original lenses. I know exactly what exposure settings to use and don't need auto focus. Does anyone know if there will be a Pentax FF DSLR any time soon?

This is a great forum and I hope to become a long term participant.

Adrian.
Pentax has said they are only focused on APS-C for 35mm, but have shown prototype full-frame cameras in the past. The main reason was probably that they didn't have the market share and resources to support such a system. They have also said that they consider and work on many options but only act on ones that fit from a production cost standpoint. I guess 35mm has never been there, especially when they wanted to get back into medium format with the 645D.

This is the season for camera releases, so you will find out soon if that situation has changed. The French Salon de la Photo October 6-10th is probably our first chance to see if Pentax has anything up their sleeve. We will see a few new releases on the 21 and 22 of this month from Canon and Nikon... I'm sure the others will follow.

09-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I know this is true because the voices in my head said so. I always listen to my voices
i also listen to the voices and i agree their will be a ff annouced this year
09-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck with the FF speculations this year.
But welcome anyway, and enjoy the cameras that are available now, as the K-5's viewfinder is decently bright and accommodating.
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

well i just got a k10d and i have had a k100d and befor that i used a k1000 and to tell ya the truth i really didnt notice a difference bettween them all but i really never compaired
09-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll realise a big difference if you got yourself a K-5.
09-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

i wish i could but i just dont have the money ill wait 2-3 years when they are 500 and used then ill buy one
09-20-2011, 04:34 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you for all your contribtions. I hear the large format vs 35mm argument from Pentax. The point pentax have not yet addressed is replacing a viewfinder that was brilliant 30 years ago with one that is inferior, doesn't encourage people to buy. I don't mind what technology is used so long as two things remain constant; final image quality remains equal to or greater than 35mm and camera operation is not compromised as a result of new technology. I've looked through various Canons and Nikons and even with FF, the viewfinders are not as bright or clear as the Pentax MX. Pentax used to pride themselves with amazing improvments like the gallium arsenide photodiode and ultra-bright viewfinders on very small camera bodies but it seems to me they've become disorientated. Bottom line is if you're going to replace something, it has to be signifigantly better in all areas to be convincing.