Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from the Great State of Texas

Hello everyone I guess I'm the newbie on the forums so I thought I would introduce myself. I've recently became the proud papa to a brand new baby Pentax K-x. This is my first foray into the world of DSLR cameras. I've had a couple of cameras in the past like an old Vivitar 35mm film camera that I used for years till it suddenly came up missing. I eventually went digital with a Fuji Finepix 1400 (2000), Olympus C3000 (2001), Various Canons and a couple of Pentax Optio S4 and S5i's compact cameras that I still use today. I've finally woke up and decided to get a DSLR and after plenty of reviews I decided on the K-x. I've only had it for about two months now and so far this is the best camera I've ever used. Fast, lightweight, easy to operate I could go on and on but to me this has to be one of the best buys out there.

I know I have a lot to learn about this camera so I try to take it out every other day and try different settings of the same subject to see the effects of the change. Needless to say I've gone through hundreds of photos so far and have only scratched the surface of what this camera can do. My buddy has a Canon Rebel T1i and it takes great pics also but she seems to like they way the K-x feels and loves the menus and features. She noted that the controls and menus were very intuitive, much easier to navigate than hers.

Right now I think I'm going to take a class on digital photography and save up some more money to buy some lenses. Any suggestions for lenses to buy first? I would like to take some portraits and help my buddy out on some wedding shots she has scheduled. Or are the kit lenses good enough to start with? Either way I love this camera and with this discounts on them now I may have to pick up another body later.

09-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Welcome! If you want more lens advice, you should probably post in the lens forum

Here are some good beginner lenses:
Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

If you want to get started with portraits, the 50mm is probably the way to go, as it will allow you to control and blur the background better.
Pentax Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens 20817 B&H Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome! Y'all know that most of Texas is just debris washed down from New Mexico, right?

But I digress. A useful way to experience lenses is to buy|borrow|steal a superzoom (like the DA18-250) or a kit.pair (DA18-55, and DA50-200 or the better DA55-300) and just SHOOT! After awhile, you can run software that tells you what focal lengths you shoot at most. This can inform your decisions on other lens purchases.

Another approach: Think about lenses in phases.

Phase 1: Coverage. A Tamron 10-24 or Sigma 10-20 or DA12-24 ultrawideangle; the DA18-250 superzoom or its Tamron twin (both out of production but widely available used); these cover much territory. Throw in a Sigma 150-500, and WOW!

Phase 2: Speed. Fast lenses are awfully good to have, even indispensable sometimes. A must-have is the FA50/1.4. Your zoom testing may show that you want fast lenses at 24-35-85-135mm or whatever. We talk about these a lot here.

Phase 3: Character. Some lenses are just unique and provide results that others can't. Some superb specialty lenses include the DA10-17 fisheye (the lens that drove me to Pentax); the SMC-K or -A 50/1.2, simply awesome; weird assortments of special glass that I'll talk about another time; etc.

Phase 4: LBA (lens-buying addiction). Just accumulate and accumulate. My current stash is about 220 lenses, not counting another 110 that I sold to help pay for the keepers. Once infected, you are doomed. Have fun!

Personal note: The DA18-55 and DA55-300 are very popular as a set, and really good deals. And I don't use them -- I hate that pairing. That's because I shoot a lot between 35-70mm, and swapping lenses at 55mm is a royal pain. Missing shots is a pain too. My recommended starter kit: Tamron 10-24 for tight spaces at the wide (10mm) end and 'scapes at the long (24mm) end; the FA50/1.4 for dimness and action; the DA18-250 for almost everything else. Throw in a Raynox closeup adapter for almost-macro shooting, and you've got COVERAGE!

Last edited by RioRico; 09-25-2011 at 01:05 AM.
09-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips I'm always open to suggestions and i'll be checking out the for sale side and B&H photo for deals.

09-25-2011, 02:32 AM   #5

Hello from one newbie to another. One lens suggestion I'd like to throw in is the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4, or the older 2.8-4.5. I consider this to be one of the better walk around lenses. It had good image quality, is fairly fast, good build quality, and a nice range. You can find some pretty good deals on ebay for them if you keep a close eye out. The only con is that some think it's kind of big/heavy, but I like the solid lenses with an nice large objective.
09-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found this one on ebay. Is that a good price for it? SIGMA 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM Lens for Pentax | eBay
09-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #7

Not the "buy it now" price...it's a little high. You can get it new at Amazon.com and many of the other online stores for $469. But if you can get it for the starting bid of $275 or somewhere in that range then that would be a good deal. I purchased the older model, the 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 a couple months ago for right at $255.
09-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from another K-X user. I love that camera. One of the things that may help you when you start your LBA, is the fact that older Pentax lenses will work on MF on the K-X. In fact, out of the 7 lenses I have have, only 2 are new-they came with the camera. The rest are from my K-1000 that is now deceased.

09-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got another lens that I saw a lot of on Ebay. Is this one any good. I know I got a ton of questions so please bear with me.eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
09-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #10

Yes that's a nice lens if you can get it for a decent price...I probably wouldn't want to pay any more than $65 or max $70 for it. Not sure if you know about the Pentax A lenses or not...they will have auto aperture(and a aperture ring), but will be manual focus. This is not a knock on the lens at all, but more of an fyi that you will have to focus it manually so more than likely you will not be able to use it when you need fast focusing.

One of the great things about Pentax is you can use all of their lenses from throughout the years. This is a great way to explore some different lenses at very reasonable prices.
09-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Got another lens that I saw a lot of on Ebay. Is this one any good. I know I got a ton of questions so please bear with me.eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Not long ago that would have gone for about US$40. Now it's about doubled in price. It's a damn good lens, probably better than most of the non-A 50/1.7's in other brands. How much it's worth to you depends on how much money you have. If you're employed, grab it (for under US$75). It probably won't get any cheaper anytime soon.