Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #1

my 1st dslr...

Hello everyone...

Just got my 1st Pentax dslr, its a used k10d... I have many Pentax slr's from years ago. I wanted to use my old lenes even though only in manual focus mode, but hey that's how I did it years ago anyways...

Just trolling the forums reading about flash trigger voltages with older flashes and my dslr. Firmware upgrades, lens settings, diy ring flashes, etc..

09-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome!
09-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, sounds like you're going to have some fun! This site has very useful info re: flash voltage if you haven't run across it yet: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
09-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acrollet Quote
Welcome, sounds like you're going to have some fun! This site has very useful info re: flash voltage if you haven't run across it yet: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Yes, thanks, went to that blog already, I dont think I will have any problems with my flashes as long as I stay away from really off brand stuff... My Canon 430ex measures in at 4.45v, I have a couple of older Pentax flashes and I have to dig them out and test them too... I guess if I am going to go the manual focus route, might as well go with the manual flash setting route too!!!

09-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! I'm still using my K10d, bought new several years ago to augment my film Pentaxes - or is the plural Pentaces?

For checking trigger voltages on your flashes I'd suggest buying a digital volt-ohm meter, they can be found for around $20. Several sites have specified the digital VOM rather than the analogue meter. Don't know why!

I measured my flashes and the Pentax stuff, a AF400T, is okay. Not so for other brands, I've got one little rascal that has a trigger voltage of over 200v! That bad boy will be reserved for my non-electronic gear - Compur shutters on the Retina IIIc and the Voigtlander Vitessa L.

Have fun. This is a good group. I've yet to see a flame war, just some friendly disagreements on occasion.
09-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Which lenses do you have? Do you have some classic treasures to make us all jealous? Welcome to the forums.
09-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Which lenses do you have? Do you have some classic treasures to make us all jealous? Welcome to the forums.
Nothing major, I just have a few lenes from about 30 years ago when I got my k1000 and my program plus... A 55mm, 200mm, 28-300mm, and my father in laws ME Super with a few lenes also.