Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good Afternoon from the North of England

Afternoon folks

New member from the North of England. I've ticked Scotland for my profile thing as I'm a Scot living on the edge of the Lake District, about 6 miles from Ullswater. Took up photography in February 2010 when I bought a K-X. I'm a very keen walker and there were such fabulous views over the last couple of winters that I felt compelled to buy a camera and try and capture them. Photography took over just a touch during that first year and I bought a K-5 in March. I've also bought several lenses in that time as well with my favourites being the Sigma 10-20 and the DA50-135 (although to be honest the 50-135 is fairly new and I haven't taken any keepers with it yet).

I'm hoping to kick on a bit during the next year or so and just keep practicing my landscape work. Happy top pick up any tips - the second year hasn't really been as successful as the first to be honest. I've also bought a Pentax 645 which I haven't used yet - never tried film of any sort so I'll be looking for some advice with that as well.

My Favourites

My Flickr

Last edited by mark lj; 09-25-2011 at 10:22 AM.
09-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome! (I was going to say, Good Morning From Mountainous Central California, but I'm about 1/2 hour too late for that.) Sound like you have a nice kit there. Oh yeah, you'll get plenty of advice here. Some of it will even be worthwhile! Anyway, have fun.
09-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Mark. Looking over your shots linked above, what an impressive set for a newcomer to photography! Here's a wild guess for why you feel less successful in your second year. Two reasons: you know a lot more now, about photography and about what you want to capture, and the more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. I.e., you have rapidly progressed to somewhere near the center of this graph. (This was linked here before, but I forget where.) Reason #2: you are ready to branch out to new subjects. The fact of living near the Lakes gives you fantastic opportunities but might also make it a bit harder to get past all that stupendous scenery to find different types of subject. Like I say, just a guess; at any rate, glad you've joined us here.
09-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. I think you might be right there on both counts. I'm going on a week long workshop next month based in the far north of Scotland. We'll be doing a fair bit of walking and doing Skye and the likes of Suilven, Stac Polly etc. I've about 3 or 4 months free now from work so I plan to concentrate on photography (and maybe a bit of golf as well). I think I've also realised that Autumn/Winter was my favourite part of year. Summer hasn't really grabbed me.

09-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your time off from work. Can't think of a better way to enjoy than to be out shooting pictures. (Not real big on golf.)
09-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy workshop up here.
09-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Those are not an impressive set for a newcomer, that's an impressive set of photographs for an experienced photographer. You are going to be scary as you gain knowledge and experience.

Welcome and keep shooting and posting

Dennis
09-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again and appreciate that Dma110. Its something I wish I'd taken up years ago - just seems to have got under my skin.

A great location there kerrowdown.

09-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked throught your shots, really good lanscapes you'v got there, and great shots of them too welcome to forum. It is nice to share experiences with people interested in same things.