Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello from the Hi Desert

I signed up some time back, so maybe it is time to say hello. A longtime Pentax user,1969 Started with a Spotmatic I bought while passing thru Sasebo, Japan courtesy of the US Navy. Paid for it with a pocket full of Yen and it still works. It has taken pictures around the globe. Other acquisitions include, MV, ME, ME Super, MX, & ZX7, each one having its own personality. I have also had a few P&S digitals, never quite good enough. Bought a K2000 for a trip to the continent in 2010 and it did every thing I ask of it. I had the opportunity to pick up a K7 body, low shutter count ,6k+, at about the same price as I paid for K2000 kit. Still learning how to use all the functions and it's a great camera. For these tired old eyes the K7 just may be the last camera I buy if I can just kick both LBA & CBA, By the way it took 26 yrs to get out of the Navy. Yep been around both horns and crossed the equator 7 or 8 times and lived in Japan and Spain. I don't think I would want change anything.....Cliff

09-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Cliff! That's a great Pentax story (and life story also). Thanks for sharing.
09-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey welcome!

Are you in the high desert near Joshua Tree or Morongo Valley ? I was there this past summer. Wonderful place.
09-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
StD, Ridgecrest, 100 miles from everywhere...........Cliff

09-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Trona pinnacles!
09-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Trona pinnacles!
Was there recently, took the short way in and the long way out the back, As I recall some of the Lost In Space series was filmed there. Danger WILL ROBINSON Danger ............BTW the OC car show shots were awesome, Thanks........Cliff
09-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Cool. Can't wait to see a few shots of the area, hopefully I'll be able to visit that area with my first DSLR next year.

09-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Cool. Can't wait to see a few shots of the area, hopefully I'll be able to visit that area with my first DSLR next year.
When you get ready, let me know, maybe we could meet up.... One Denny's and it is always open.
09-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

When you get ready, let me know, maybe we could meet up.... One Denny's and it is always open.
Cool. It will probably be next summer. I'll send you a friend request so I remember.
09-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! I lived awhile in 29 Stumps (formerly 29 Palms, but clumsy drivers knocked them down, leaving only stumps). I'm not real keen on Ridgecrest -- Walker Pass and Lake Isabella are much more inviting, eh? But any desert high enough for Joshua trees is OK with me.

Ridgecrest has been on my nerd radar for quite awhile, a nexus of soft- and hard-warez hackers and suppliers, newage adepts, UFO watchers, legend collectors, desert rats, epic poets, hot-rodders, home-brewers, etc. Some of them are probably ex-Navy too.

I see Ridgecrest as being like Finland. Nothing to do on those long dark Arctic nights except drink, screw, and invent, so that's where MOD warez and Nokia and Linux were born. Not many diversions around Ridgecrest, so enthusiasts have lotsa time for intense manias. Fun fun fun.
09-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Leaving Ridgecrest.

Trona pinnacles.
09-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Rio & Special K, it good to know that someone knows where Ridgecrest is located. My other half thinks that happiness is Ridgecrest in the rear view mirror. On Monday I did a photo loop around Lake Isabella, stopped at the old cemetery for a few exposures. I got rained on while there, the K7 didn't leak. I have got to go over to Trona for a few shots soon. I really like the leaving Ridgecrest shot, either Jacks Ranch Rd or Inyokern Rd heading west to highway 14. ......Clff