Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New to site

Hi ...I am new to this site. I received a Asahi Pentax K1000 and started researching it. I could not find one with the seriel number on top or one that was like the one I was given. so i found myself here !! When I went to seriel number database there was no match...I must admit I know nothing about cameras and was going to try and sell this one. After reading how wonderful they are I wanted it to go to somebody who would appreciate and use it to the fullest...does anyone know where I can find the value or more information on this camera. It has a seriel number on the top of # 7902189. The back top right of camera is engraved with " ASAHI OPT. CO. JAPAN. I have no idea where to go from here !! Thanks to anybody on here with knowlege that can help me out !!! Hello to all and have a great day !!1
flakes

09-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The serial # database on this site is for actual individual cameras owned by members, so it's not complete. But there are plenty of K1000s listed, serial # ranging from 60**** to 84****, so your camera is toward the later end of the range. As per this site's K1000 review page that puts its date of manufacture somewhere in the mid 1990s. As for resale value, that depends mainly on the lens -- what type and what condition. If you post the information from the front of the lens here, you'll get an honest opinion as to its value. Or you can simply check that against the lens database.
09-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks so much baro-nite for the advice. I just checked the lens and it says:
SMC Pentax 1:2 55mm 1671985 ASAHI OPT. CO. JAPAN. Not sure where to go from there. I will check the lens link you sent and see if i can figure anything out from the there. The camera and lens in in excellent condition !!
Thanks again
09-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

That is this lens, probably made in the mid to late 1970s. So I'm probably wrong about the camera date. It won't be considered as generally desirable as the 1:1.8 55mm lens of the same era, but from the few reviews available in the database it appears to be a fine lens. Lenses from this series (the "SMC Pentax" aka "K" series) have a reputation for excellent build quality.

There's a marketplace on this forum, but to sell you have to make a (small) donation to become a site supporter or authorized seller. It might be a little harder to make a sale even then, just because you aren't known around here -- buyers are more likely to buy from someone with an established reputation (not just as an honest seller, but as knowledgable enough to accurately assess the condition of the lens). Of course there's always ebay or craigslist, or a local camera shop that deals in used equipment.

09-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The serial number on the top plate and the K series kit lens mean that the body was probably from the first couple of years of production in the mid '70s before the production line was moved from Japan to Hong Kong. The other telltale mark would be a bump stamped in the top plate next to the rewind crank and near the serial number. If it is in good condition that makes for a nice kit. The K 55mm f/2 isn't as nice as the f/1.8 version but it is less common and a bit more desirable than the M 50mm f/2 that came with most of the later bodies.
09-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !!!! to baro-nite and steinback for all your help !! I truly appreciate you taking the time to help a total stranger and newbie...You gave me a good starting point. I may take it to a local camera shop and see what I could sell it for. But my youngest daughter has expressed an interest in photography and is begging me to keep it. She is only 15 yrs. old and would probably have alot to learn for this caliber of a camera but it may just be worth holding onto for her. I had always had a hope of getting involved with photography and never pursued it while raising 3 children...so maybe I will just hold onto it in the event that she is serious about getting into photography !!!! I would love that for her. I have a true love of photos and have collected alot of famous pics and scrapbook alot and keep albums and have a house full of pictures...so maybe this camera would spark her interest and turn into something wonderful for her !!!
Thanks again to all !!!
09-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

No question that your camera and lens combination is an excellent kit, and especially good for someone who really wants to learn the nuts and bolts of photography. And keep in mind that the lens can be used on a more modern digital SLR should your daughter really take to it.