Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #1

New Here - Not New to Pentax!

Hello all. I finally registered today after poking my head in the forums from time to time.

I have been a Pentax user for quite some time since owning a P30T back in the late 90's. It was stolen along with the lenses when I went to university and I never did replace it, making do with compact and then digital compacts for a few years.

A couple of years back though I wanted to rediscover photography so set out to buy my first DSLR. After considering a Nikon D40x and the nearest Canon equivalent someone pointed out the K10D and even better value GX10. I was sold on the GX10 with a cashback deal safe in the knowledge I was getting a camera (IMO) with a feature set beyond the other NiCan entry models for even less money! It also helped I prefered the size, weight and handling too.

Unfortunately the GX10 broke within a year but Argos replaced it with a GX20.

Then only this year I dropped the GX20 with a 70-300 attached. It was not repairable and the insurers paid out. Strangely though they accepted a quote from Jacobs at high street prices for a replacement model (K7) which actually meant shopping around on the net could afford a K5. Result!

And that's where I'm at now. I'm still more than happy with my Pentax system choice and am in fact blown away with the K5. I'm also currently expanding my lens collection after buying a bargain SMC 50mm f/1.7 and intend on selling my Sigma 50mm Macro to buy a Tamron 90mm Macro.

On a side note I do still like using film and have a collection of Lomography cameras (Spinner 360, Diana Mini, Supersampler, La Sardina) and 35mm compacts (Olympus Trip 35, Vivitar UWS, Fujifilm Silvi F2.8).

10-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome!
10-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums. I'm glad things worked out with the insurance, that's quite an upgrade!