Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote

throw a 40D for a 600D : HA HA HA funniest thing of my day.
I agree... it is rather obvious to me that the OP is an advanced (if not seasoned) photographer; can't tell the difference between pentamirror and pentaprism viewfinder? I doubt it.

10-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a pity some self-acclaim photographers cannot see beyond the superficial specifications and classes.
10-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
It's a pity some self-acclaim photographers cannot see beyond the superficial specifications and classes.
i really suggest you to not say anything else because obviously, beyond spec that are supposed to be in favor of the 600d, the 40D and its ergonomics are lot more usefull than just "superficial specification"

But anyway, obviously it's not the point here.
10-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have been using the 40D for 2 years and while it's user interface is not great, it will be got used to eventually given enough time. The same applies to any cameras or lenses. The OP was seeking for something more portable and the smaller 600D makes sense. Whether the OP likes that particular camera was another matter. However, dismissing a camera merely based on its class or pentamirror is silly.

Also, imho, a DSLR with a standard zoom is no less portable than the K-5 with DA prime for most people because they feel the same on the shoulder anyway. A fast zoom will be many times more useful in the field too. If it will be backpacked for hiking, then it would be another matter. But those are my genuine opinions only and people are free to take them or not. I fail to see the unjust personal attack.

10-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks wlachan. As I said before, I like to hear different ideas and thoughts, I appreciate your points.

Portability is a subjective concept.
My main problem is not the overall weight, but the bulk of a zoom, any zoom, not to mention a midrange f/2.8 zoom.
600D would make a lot of sense, but I don't see any pancake lens in Canon line up.
Also K5 image quality is on another league, don't mind which pentamirror is inside.
I've tried K5 ergonomics also, it's great as my 40D.

Sometimes I ski or climb with my bag attached on my side, 1 kg of SLR+lens is OK, but 2-4 cm lens length is a huge difference. Canon 17-55 = 111mm !!
And I'm also liking primes more and more...

This is another typical situation... ideal for the 15mm ltd...

Last edited by PhotoClimber; 10-08-2011 at 12:53 AM. Reason: clarify