Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #1

From Canon to Pentax ?

Hi, I'm a passionate photographer who loves shooting mountain landscapes and kids portraits (have two daughters).
I live in Italy, near Bergamo, in a little town. I'm a Canon 40D user, my lenses are a 17-40mm, a 60mm macro, a 70-200mm f4.
I'm considering Pentax for my future kit, I really Iike light, compact and quality lenses of Pentax lineup. And the K5 too.
I need some advice for a compact definitive portrait / landscape lens kit...

This give you some idea of what I like to shoot...

10-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 with the DA 15mm f/4 limited and the FA 77mm f/1.8 limited would be a pretty lethal landscape/portrait combo with the lightest/compact size. You don't get the weather sealing with those lenses though.
10-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great photos! For a full setup, I would do this: the K-5, along with the 15mm, 43mm limited prime lenses, the 100mm weather resistant macro lens, and the DA* 50-135mm weather sealed lens would make a great kit. I would add the 18-55mm weather sealed kit lens as well just for bad weather. For shots like the one above I would be out with 2 lenses only, the 15mm and the 50-135mm, both of which are my favorites (in that order!).
10-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. I was just thinking at the DA 15, FA 43, DA 70 (or FA 77) on a K5 body.
All can serve for landscapes from wide to tele; the 43 would be my walkaround lens for outdoor environmental portrait. I like the "longer than normal" focal length for walkaround.
The DA* 50-135 is a wonderful lens, but I'm changing for lightness... I have a wonderful Canon 70-200 f/4 IS, but stays at home too much...

I could skip the great 70/77 for the D FA 100 macro, I don't shoot so much macro, but it's always nice to have one just in case.
Is the D FA 100 suitable for portraits in the f/2.8-4 range ? How fast is the autofocus ?
On the other way may the DA 70 / FA 77 be used for closeup work ?

Thanks again.

10-05-2011, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely introduction.
Thanks for the beautiful imagery.
I'm sure you'll find the K-5 with any of the Limited series lenses an excellent and portable combination to carry around with you on all your adventures.
Longer than 77mm there is also an older FA 135/2.8 which is not a bad lens to have at all for something in the telephoto range, whilst being reasonably lightweight.

The DFA 100 is excellent for head & shoulders portraits. Its autofocus is fast as long as it's not required to traverse the entire focal throw in the autofocus function (pre-focusing helps). I'd suggest that for any closeup work if indeed you will be doing it - it would be a shame to have to put anything like a macro filter or somehow fit a Raynox adapter to a perfectly good lens like the DA 70 or FA 77!
10-05-2011, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #6

Those are beautiful pictures, my compliments. I bought my Pentax ME Super with 40mm pancake lens many years ago because it was light without sacrificing quality. I had a 28mm and compact 135 which gave me the versatility I needed. I now have the 15, 40, and 70 limited lenses which are fantastic and collectively weigh less than a pound. And the K-5 does them proud. I appreciate them even more as a middle aged hiker.

I hope you enjoy the Limiteds as much as I do.
10-05-2011, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't do it. With questionable QC of K5 & SDM, I fail to see why you wish to gamble, especially when the service channel sucks. If you like the Limited primes, great (but beware of loose screws issue, just google). But if you plan to go DA*, good luck. To keep things simple, I would just get a 600D with EF-S 17-55/2.8 which will be many times more compact than an array of primes. Not to mention lens switching is no fun with kids around.

10-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shots photoclimber! Think how nice and wide 17mm would be on a 5dII. : )
10-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Limiteds and small primes would indeed be a good reason to switch to pentax. I'd say they're the reason Pentax should continue to exist as a brand. Keep in mind that 17-40L in FF (which you dont have yet, I guess) cannot really be replicated in Pentax, and Pentax equivalent of 70-200 are plagued with SDM problems. Just food for thought
10-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks all, nice to have different points of view.
Just to go on sharing ideas... the EFS 17-55 is just the lens that I wouldn't like to walk around with. Big, heavy, bulky. I'm also for flare resistence and nice sunstars...
My walk around with kids would be just take the K5 + one limited (43 or 70) and have fun, as I do with my Canon 60mm.

SDM issues are really a bad thing for Pentax. I think the identity of this company (a quality niche player) really don't need this kind of things on such expensive lenses... Anyway it's not my kind of lense (I'd stay Canon otherwise)
Didn't know much about K5 issues, here in Italy we have a support company and problems seems minimized... but makes me think...
The K7 was not affected by many issues, correct ?
Maybe wait for new K3 and see what happens.
10-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The 15, 43 and either 70 or 77 make a great 3 lens kit that is as compact as you can get (micro 4/3 aside). I didn't find the 70mm focal length useful and swapped it for the 100mm WR macro, but that is just me! The limiteds are all great.
10-07-2011, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I'd ignore Wlachan - he's like an anti-K5 spammer on here whenever anyone says they are considering buying the camera ! Some K5s had/have a few issues but newer production models will see most of those ironed out (make sure you update to the latest firmware version) however retailers have said the problem rate is no higher/lower than Canon/Nikon. These are all very complicated technical machines and as with anything of that nature, be it a computer, car or whatever there will be a certain percentage that have faults (no problem - just get it fixed via your service supplier).

In return you are getting probably the most advanced APS-C camera on the market (DR range, Colour Depth, High ISO, in-built SR, WR, portability etc. etc.) and if you just read through the forum you'll find just how much the vast majority of people love this camera. I love it so much I'm buying a second one later this month (and I was one of the unlucky ones who did have a problem that needed a return to Pentax to fix) as I can't take just one camera to shoot paid events ! BTW I had a K7 before the K5 - there is absolutely no comparison, the new sensor is a major upgrade from the K7 (that aside the K7 is a great camera). Just make sure when you buy the K5 that you buy from a reputable dealer who will replace/repair if required (this should go for any camera you buy, whether Pentax, Canon, Nikon or any other brand) and ensure you are getting newer stock and not recycled older stock that may still have the 'line-of-pearls' sensor issue (courtesy of Sony).

As for lenses then the DA*15 Ltd is a must, an absolute gem. The 43 Ltd is an amazing ultra sharp little lens too and although i don't have either of the 70/77 lenses I don't think you can go wrong with either, take the 70 if you want/need to save a little cash or the 77 Ltd if you can afford it (plus the K5, 15 & 43). IMO the Sigma 30/1.4 is another great lens for walkabout/children (so sharp you can easily crop a 1:1 print out of it if you need to). BTW the K5, 15, 30 & 43 (and a Zeiss 85 - substitute your 70/77 for that) are never out of my bag and go everywhere with me !
10-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #13

I agree with Frogfish. The K-5 is a joy to use and another benefit of the Limited lenses is that they all use 49mm filters. I have the 15,40, and 70 and carry a split ND and CPOL. Everything fits in a small Thinktank case which is easy to carry and light. With the improved DR, I am not using the split ND as much and the high ISO performance is amazing.

My walkabout lens is the 40 and I like it for the lightness, sharp corner to corner at all apertures. It also draws a lot of interest from others, some wonder if I forgot to attach a lens.
10-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks!

K5 price is also going down, which is another plus.

Now I think I'm quite convinced of K5 + 15 & 70. I will reconsider macro options for real macro work (I love macro work but it takes time, which I don't have at the moment)

What stays in the middle make me think more (lot of options), could be also the DA 40mm, money is not a big issue, but I see minimal optical gap and big money gap with the 43.
Also fast autofocus is a bonus with kids around and 90g lens is nice. I'm not particoularly picky with "creamy" bokeh, just like to have some decent to good bokeh, from the samples I see the DA40 is not bad at all.
10-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can't tell you about the K5 or the 15, but i can speak about the DA40.

It's an awesome lense. it's fast, accurate, small, and optically, it's all good

in fact since i got my 40, i don't use anymore my 28/2, 35/2.4 and F 50/1.7, or almost.

the good plus is The Quick Shift, a very usefull feature. You get used to it so fast
You just can't go wrong with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
To keep things simple, I would just get a 600D
throw a 40D for a 600D : HA HA HA funniest thing of my day.