Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from a novice

Hi my name is Kaz and I am very much a novice in the photography stakes. I am hoping for some some advice from all you professionals. I have just purchased a Pentax k-r and the guy at the camera shop said it was a good choice as Pentax was the only make whereby you could use any lens from other Pentax models. This was a bonus and the major selling factor as far as we were concerned as my hubby had quite a fab range of lenses from his now defunct non digital Pentax.

We bought all his lenses on holiday with us only to find that they do not fit the k-r, is this because they are from a non DSLR and if so is there any sort of adapter to solve the problem, would be such a great shame for his lenses to go to waste?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Kaz522

10-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, Welcome to the forum. We're not all pros, but the sheer amount of Pentax AND photography knowledge represented here is humongous.

Second, The lenses should fit one way or the other. Compare their mount bases with the lens you bought with the K-r. If they are bayonet mount lenses made by Pentax (have to be careful with some other brands as there can be slight differences) they should fit right on. If they are screw mount, then yes you will need an adapter. Look or ask for a "K mount to M42" adapter. Basically, you put the adapter on the camera and then screw the lens into it. Metering and automatic functions will not work of course, but look through you manual on how to use these older lenses.

Good luck and I hope this gets you shooting.

Mike
10-05-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your speedy response and welcome Mike, that is the problem the k-r is bayonet and the other lenses are screw. We shall now try and find somewhere in Malta where we can purchase the adapter. Big relief that we can use the lenses eventually though

Cheers.
Kaz
10-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Kaz. There is an affliction that affects all camera users at some point, called LBA. I'm sure you're on the verge of this particular affliction. Don't worry though, the cure can be found on ebay, or the Pentax Forums marketplace. You just purchase a well-researched lens, and you will feel better for a while.

Regards

10-05-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See if you can find an older established camera store. They will be more likely to have a couple of adapters squirreled away somewhere.

Mike