Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #1

New to the Pentax forums, from WA State

Hello, my user name is Gander, but really my name is Jan.

I don't own a Pentax currently, but I am very interested in getting the K-r. I have done all kinds of research on it and believe I am making the right choice. I participate in several photo clubs in our area using a Panasonic Lumix camera. I think I have out grown it and ready to move up. Way back in the 70's, back in my High school days, I was on the year book staff as a photographer. My camera back then was a Pentax, my first love. My club leader is Pro-Nikon, when I told him I was going to buy a Pentax, he about fell dead away. Another good friend uses exclusively Canon, they about fainted when I told them I was going with Pentax. But after the they both got their breath back, and I showed them the stats on the K-r, they were both interested and excited that I'm going to buy a great camera. I look forward to being a regular poster here on the forums.

10-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jan, welcome and good luck with your camera purchase!
10-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! The Kr will knock their socks off. Yours too, probably. Now we can infect you with the LBA virus. You are doomed. Have fun!
10-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
...infect you with the LBA virus.

Since I'm still a nOoOb what is a LBA virus? I mean I have already got my flu shot.

10-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, Gander. LBA's inevitable. I'll let RioRico explain since he's the expert on the subject.

EDIT: And welcome! Lots of great stuff on this forum as you'll soon find out!
10-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

LBA- Lens Buying Addiction
CBA- Camera Buying Addiction
GBA- Gear Buying Addiction

Expert? I deal lenses etc on eBay. I have no disposable income, so before I can buy something, I must sell something else. I've done OK so far, heh heh. I currently have ~225 lenses and I've sold another 110 others to help pay for the keepers. Of those ~225, I hope to sell maybe 15; and 50 are Fifties, lenses in the 50-58mm range. One member here has more Fifties than I have lenses total. A survey on a lens-oriented forum showed that members there owned an AVERAGE of 100 lenses each, with one topping-out at over 1500. I'm nowhere in that league. Me, a victim of LBA? Oh no, I enjoy every second of it!

What it's about: Many old lenses, especially manual-focus primes (non-zooms), are great, and cheap. Many aren't so great, and are even cheaper, but are full of 'character'. I have picked up some splendid glass for literally pennies. Their new counterparts would cost hundreds of bucks each. I can't afford those. So I buy odd lots and mis-described unknows, and keep the good stuff, and resell the rest so I can buy some more. Moar, moar, I want moar!!

You may still ask, WHY? Why bother accumulating all those? Why not just get a couple of the best fastest zooms and be done with it? Because they're different tools. Most painters use more than one brush; most cabinet-makers use more than one hammer, one saw, one plane. For certain kinds of production-line shooting, a very small kit may be all that's needed. But for me, each lens has its own window on the world; each sees the world differently. I like to force myself to see in all those varied ways.

The LBA virus infects us when we've seen through a few lenses and want to see more. IMHO the disease runs in stages, as we acquire lenses with various goals:
  1. Coverage: With a 10-24mm ultra-wide-angle, an 18-250 superzoom, and a 170-500 long zoom, I've got focal lengths pretty well covered.
  2. Speed: With fast (wide aperture) lenses at 24mm-35mm-50mm-85mm-135mm, I can shoot action or in dimness or for Depth-Of-Field control.
  3. Character: With odd and unique and specialized lenses, I can explore different ways of seeing, without producing cookie-cutter images.
My usual excuse is, ooh, I'd like to see how THAT one works. It's all for testing, sure. Purely scientific interest. No hoarding instinct at all. And I can quit whenever I want. I CAN QUIT!! I SWEAR IT!! Yeah, doomed...
10-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
And there you have it...
10-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #8

Original Poster
RioRico, thankyou for the clarifying the acronyms. As I mentioned above, I am, and very soon going to accire a Pentax K-r. There is someone in the classified area selling a Kr with lens options. I understand your thinking process of having more than one tool. I, in a former time was a carpenter and yes, I had several of every tool, shape and size. Some tools just felt better than other tools even though they were the same one.
The type of photography I am interested in is: wildlife, landscapes, macro or Micro and black and white. What is your web site on Ebay?
What should I look for in an old pentax lens? I know pawn shops have pentax lenses by the box full, most are really cheap.
Some how I feel a fever coming on, I hope my wife doesn't find out, she is a master at finding things.

10-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gander Quote
The type of photography I am interested in is: wildlife, landscapes, macro or Micro and black and white. What is your web site on Ebay?
What should I look for in an old pentax lens? I know pawn shops have pentax lenses by the box full, most are really cheap.
On eBay I am r*m. I've been slacking off for a few months; I *must* list some more stuff real soon, like in the next week or so. Stay tuned.

I just happen to have a couple of appropriate articles: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

QuoteQuote:
Some how I feel a fever coming on, I hope my wife doesn't find out, she is a master at finding things.
Since my time is worthless, I can waste it by scanning listings, and bidding. My lens-buying strategy: Bid low; bid often; lose 99% of them; don't sweat it, there's always another. For a lens I really want, I decide what it's worth to me, and I'm willing to go just a little more. And like I said, I gotta sell stuff before I can buy more stuff. So I can get away with buying anything just as long as the money only comes from my PayPal account and not the house account. The fever is contained.
10-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
Yikes, I have been bitten, and I don't even own a Pentax...Yet. I'm already scanning ebay for future lenses, and I almost tried to buy one yesterday. But my wife is calming me down, there will always be tomorrow... but but you don't understand, this lens, someone else got my lens! (she just rolled her eyes and patted me on the back) Ya gotta love her.
I do practice restraint and don't fly off and buy the first one that pops up.
The one on ebay was: PENTAX ASAHI JAPAN SUPER TAKUMAR 1:3.5/135 200MM W/CASE AND LENS HOOD.
I'm not sure if that was a good lens or a so so one. I'm still learning.
I have to get my camera first before I start accumulating lenses.
Thankyou RioRico for the link to buying a lens, that was great.
10-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #11

Original Poster
I don't own a Pentax currently, but I am very interested in getting the K-r. I have done all kinds of research on it and believe I am making the right choice.
When I first introduced myself, my budget was close to a Pentax K-r, but in the last day or two, some things have happened, and now my budget has increased. If I want, I can get the K-5. But what I need is help in deciding if this is the right decision or not. The K-r is a really good camera(from what I have read, I don't own one yet) but is the K-5 that much better for the cost? I plan to be more than just a hobbyist and living in the Northwest, we don't always have lots of dry weather. Which is one of the features the K-5 has that the K-r doesn't have, weather sealing. So can someone help me out here a little bit? I've gone to dpreviews and snapshot, the pro's and cons of each. I guess if I'm going to spend the extra money on the K-5, I just want to justify the cost.
10-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
When I ..... I guess if I'm going to spend the extra money on the K-5, I just want to justify the cost.
Gosh, I use a K-x, so I am biased. Have you decided if you want auto focus or older manual lenses?

I would buy a body as cheap as possible at the moment. The K-5 successor will come out ealier next year, and it has just dropped by $400 and second hand bodies are to be had for less than $1000. Maybe you could get even a second-hand K-r.
Spend more money on lenses I would say.
10-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The one on ebay was: PENTAX ASAHI JAPAN SUPER TAKUMAR 1:3.5/135 200MM W/CASE AND LENS HOOD.
That might be one of those i-don't-know-nothing-about-cameras-but listings. Super Takumar is great. The SuperTak 135/3.5 (which means a 135mm lens with a 1:3.5 or f/3.5 maximum aperture) is a superb M42 screwmount lens, easily usable on a modern dSLR with a simple adapter. But 135mm and 200mm are mutually exclusive -- the lens can't be both.

At the top of this page is a link to LENSES. Hit that, and look at the M42 screwmount lenses, where there are pictures of all the Takumars. (Note: The difference between Takumars, Super Takumars, and S.M.C. Takumars, is mostly in the lens coatings.) You will see that the lens fronts are inscribed with those mysterious numbers. Compare with the photo(s) in the eBay listing.

I guess if I'm going to spend the extra money on the K-5, I just want to justify the cost.
There are a couple ways to approach buying a dSLR. Besides just winging-it, that is. One is to get the most basic camera that will fulfill your needs now, and 'graduate' to something more capable when you're comfortable with the technology. That's the start-basic-and-upgrade I model. The other is to get the most advanced camera you can now, so you won't be tempted to upgrade for some years. That's the path I chose.

I did a lot of analysis of user ratings and reviews on dpreview.com before selecting what was the best at the time, the K20D, which I chose because 1) the DA10-17 lens drove me to Pentax; 2) the K20D had more features-per-buck than the competition; and 3) K20D owners bitched and whined a lot less than other owners about needing to upgrade immediately. I don't have the money to get a new camera every couple years, so I wanted something to satisfy me for as long as possible. The K20D looks to keep me happy for the foreseeable future.

Your options:

* The Kr is a damn fine camera that's really only beaten-out by the K5 and a few pro-quality cameras. IMHO its main shortcomings are lack of WR and pro controls. It's a bargain.

* The K5 is a superlative camera that's hardly bested by anything. Yes, its price is dropping, and will maybe drop a little more when its expected replacement is announced, whenever.

* I could suggest a used K20D. But great as it is, it's still old technology; the newer models are just much more capable in many areas. I think that here, newer really is a bit better.

My recommendation: If you can't wait, get a K5 now. If you *can* wait and don't mind gambling a little, waiting for the K5's replacement announcement may find K5 prices down a little more. Or not. That's the gamble, eh? Or of course, the replacement may be so super-duper that you just MUST get it. Another gamble... Or, get a Kr now, and when the K3 or whatever is released, get that too and keep the Kr as a backup. Can't never have too many cameras nor lenses, eh?