Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2011, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long Time Lurker Accepts Fate as a Pentaxian

It's official, I'm hooked on the good stuff. I've drank the kool-aide; I've succumbed to lens lust (on more than a few occasions); I've taken over 500 frames of a single object, and have seen ways to improve the image; I've scoured the forum's lens reviews for countless hours...

Clearly I can't fight it, so it's time to join in.

I got into photography while spending a year teaching English abroad. At first, I hesitated entering the SLR market. These things were just too big, too clunky, too expensive, too 'dorky' (Not the 'fanny-pack' level of dorky, but just enough to impinge on my sense of vanity) and they served as a distraction from my work! As I sit here, writing my rather long-winded introduction today, I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

Admittedly, in the beginning, I was drawn to the dSLR crowd through my own ignorant reasoning. Sucked in by the promises of image quality, more than anything else. So much has changed since then.

And it's true, the image quality is better. Much better.
But so little of the art of photography revolves around the technical aspects of IQ. Needless to say, the Auto mode on the top dial (as I assume is true for most, if not all, members here) is seriously under-loved on my camera.

I look forward to taking part in the Pentax community, and to spend many more years with the joy and passion that this 'distraction' has already brought me.

-Gerbermiester

Last edited by Gerbermiester; 10-08-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Image failed to display
10-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't you just hate when you give in to lust over logic and will power.Welcome aboard. I like the B/W shot, a little danger and mystery. What camera?? Cliff
10-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Haha, so far I've been able to rationalize my spending with the 'But it's such a good deal' clause. And, of the eight lenses I own, four are currently posted for sale on craigslist. So, as you can clearly see...... I'm still partially in denial about having the LBA.

Thanks for the compliment; I would have preferred not to have the laundry hanging in the background, but such is an unavoidable feature of China.

I shot this one (as is true with all of my photos) with a K-x. Before I bought, I did my homework and found that, for the money, the K-x was the entry level camera to have. I later found out about the joys of the backwards compatible K-mount.
10-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Enlightened side.

10-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The laundry just gives us something to look for. Now you need more lenses. Have fun!
10-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ha, MORE LENSES??
I'm okay for lenses! (for now ). I've my F-28 f2.8, my A-50mm f1.7, my 55-300mm, and the kit lens.

The others are all for sale, mostly acquired by buying old cameras that came with lenses as packaged set.
I've got a hit on Craigslist, so I might be down to seven lenses as of tomorrow.

I'm trying not to fall in the trap of spending more time and effort in acquiring gear than actually spending time out and about with the camera in my hand.

Thanks for the support!

Last edited by Gerbermiester; 10-09-2011 at 12:15 PM.
10-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Why buy more lenses? Not because of coverage, or speed, or character, (my usual excuses) but because each lens has its own window on the world, and I see differently with each one. Not just a matter of focal lengths; some days I'll carry almost a half-dozen Fifties because each gives a different look to images, has its own flavour, its own strengths and weaknesses.

What, the K50/1.2 isn't perfect enough?!?!? Not always. For some shots, suitable lenses may include a MacroTakumar 50/4(1x) for working close; FA50/1.4 for gotta-get-the-shot action; CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (12 iris blades) or Helios-44 58/2 for their unique bokehs; SuperTak or Petri CC 55/1.8 for their clarity; Tomioka 55/1.4 for just a different rendering than the K50/1.2. And maybe an EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 or Industar-50/3.5 on tubes for close|macro work. Those are only a few of my 50 Fifties. A good start, eh?

10-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Ha, MORE LENSES??
I'm okay for lenses! (for now ).
There's always a 'need' for another lens (as I'm sure RioRico will tell you - edit: he already did!) Nice shot and welcome to the club!
10-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great, welcome! Love your introduction!!
10-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome (and the laundry makes the shot as far as I'm concerned.)
10-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Those are only a few of my 50 Fifties. A good start, eh?
Not a bad start at all! But if it is just a start, what's left to be had? Hahaha

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone. I can feel the love.
10-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your introduction sounds familiar

You could join some of the Weekly Photo Challenges, they are fun and you learn a lot!
10-09-2011, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcom, and a literary allusion.

Gates of Hell : Canto 3 : Cowards

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" (3.9)
Leave behind all hope, you who enter
---

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

Such characters in colour dim I mark'd
Over a portal's lofty arch inscrib'd:
Whereat I thus: Master, these words import.

--Dante Alighieri

-W
10-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Not a bad start at all! But if it is just a start, what's left to be had? Hahaha
What's left? Well, my Fifties acquisitions may have slowed a bit (and I feel no need for any more ELs there) but there are always more goodies: some great 58/1.2, and a Vivitar 55/2.8 macro, and more copy-process lenses, and I *must* put my Diana 50/5.6 New Optical Lens (finest plastic) on a decent PK mount, etc.

NOTE: I deal lenses etc on eBay when I feel the need. Like, I have no discretionary income, so before I can buy something, I must sell something else. (And I'd better list a new batch of gear pretty soon.) I currently have ~225 lenses and have sold ~110 others to help pay for the keepers. At least one member here has more Fifties than I have lenses total. On another forum, where members report holding an average of 100 lenses each, at least one guy has over 1500 lenses. So I'm a piker.

Anyway, welcome aboard, and keep up with the laundry.
10-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
at least one guy has over 1500 lenses. So I'm a piker.
Haha! I shouldn't have asked.

I'll be moving on to e-bay pretty quick too. The whole craigslist thing, doesn't give me enough market access. The Market Place here seems a bit confusing to me. I'll have to look up a tutorial on how to calculate shipping and set up a payment account and the like, or however it works.

PS. I hope I'm not spamming everyone who posted on this thread? My apologies if this is the case. How does one send a PM?