Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #1

Hi from Brisbane, Australia

Helloooo

I purchased a K5 two days ago to replace a 6mp 2002 hand me down DSLR I owned.

I'm from Brisbane, and have been shooting mainly film the past two years.

The K5 appealed for its low light abilities, and I don't really have any allegiance or investment with 35mm gear, so I thought I'd try something a little different. Looking forward to getting a DA 15 or DA 21 Ltd!

Signed up to ask a question about a focus screen, we will see where this leads though.

10-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard!

As for focus screens: I'm used to split screens from my film SLR days, so with my K20D I bought a cheap katzeye-clone split screen. I mostly shoot old manual lenses. My old eyeballs are delaminating. I find that CIF (catch-in-focus) helps most; then, Focus Confirmation; then, the split screen. The screen is useful with a well-lit, contrasty subject, especially with lines across it. In dim or low-contrast scenes, the screen doesn't hurt but doesn't help much either. So my process is: the screen gets me in the neighborhood; Focus Confirmation closes in; DIF hits the spot.

Is a split-screen better than none? Yes. Is it enough? Not for me. But I'm glad I have it.