Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #1

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newbie to DSLR

Hi,

I recently bought my first DSLR - Pentax K-r. It came with a DAL 18-55 and I also picked up a DAL 55-300 (the following day). Before the digital revolution I used a vintage Praktica and have a couple of lenses I used on that body. I am very rusty (and had limited knowledge at that time) but I am eager to get away from point and shoot photography.

bigted

Last edited by bigted; 10-16-2011 at 10:10 AM.
10-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. Am sure you will find the folk here as friendly, skilled and helpful as I have.
10-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #3

Welcome to the dSLR world! As an instructor of photography (my own "hello" posting was just submitted, awaiting admin approval to post), my suggestion would be to read the manual, have the willingness to simply "play and explore" what the various controls and menu functions can do. Try different modes - Aperture Priority (Av), Shutter Priority (Tv), Manual (M) - to see how the camera acts (and reacts) and behave with different lighting conditions. See how the "compensation" options work when you second-guess what the camera "thinks" is right and the shot is either too dark or light.

Shoot, regardless whether the image will be "good" or "bad" - there won't be any secret "bad picture" police chasing after you nor post your goofs on FB.

You're starting the climb on a learning curve...enjoy the journey.

Best Wishes from N Calif...
...Richard Beebe
10-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #4

Same story here bigted I shot with a k1000 back in high school and gave up photography (temporary insanity I guess) Fast forwarded twenty some years later. I took a digital photo class at the college I'm at and three years loving it! I know you going to love it!

10-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, bigted. I got back into this about 10 months ago - loving it! I know that you'll find lots of help and info here.