Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #1

Hello from San Diego CA

I'm new to the forum. I've had my k100d Super for almost 4 years. I'm a hobbyist that dreams of making some money to pay for my gear. I'm a software developer by day and enjoy taking pictures a lot more than post-processing them (too much time in front of the computer!).

My current self-challenge is to try shooting digital as if it was film - fixed ISO, no preview screen, 36 exposures. I read about it on digital-photography-school.com and I started a flickr group for anyone else who wants to take the challenge to share their best shots.

10-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #2

Hello right back at ya.

I do shoot as if I was 35mm, because that is how I learned. I also do no post processing but I do bracket shoot from time to time. I learned on Kodachrome 64 tranparency film which has a narrow exposure latitude and so metering was very important. I have never used preview and shoot using the pentaprism view only

And We had a vacation to San Diego last year and it has to be the most beautiful city in the USA.

We did all the museums, Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Historic Old Town....Seaworld, USS Midway etc etc...Del Coronado......

We ate a lot of burgers at the San Diego Bay Burger Company at Seaport and my son ate his way around the animal kingdom.

My other son is Fishtarian and he ate at the Greek place at Seaport.
10-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Love the self-challenge idea, and also love your city, although we haven't been down there for a while.
10-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! I'm originally from Pomona, love San Diego, plan to be there again for a few days this January.

I too sometimes shoot digital like it's film. But, different films. Kodachrome was always beyond my budget, so I'd order 100-ft rolls of Panatomic-X and Plus-X, hand-load them into 135 carts, shoot with my half-frame Olympus Pen-FT and Canon Demi-EE16 and Dial-35. With 75 shots per cart, and pushing the films in custom soups of Dektol, Acufine and Kodalith (to reduce grain), and match-needle metering, I could be profligate in my shooting. Almost like digital! (And the same frame size.)

Back when photography was my job, my training insisted DO WHATEVER IS NEEDED TO MAKE THE SHOT. That meant creative PP in the darkroom, whether with B&W or colour negative film. (My work didn't include transparencies.) And my meterless totally-manual other cameras required careful hand-metering when circumstances allowed, and learning to judge light and distance without instrumental aids otherwise.

Those disciplines inform my current shooting, but don't constrain it. I seek other limits, often my LOTD (lens of the day) strategy, where I'll semi-randomly choose an old manual prime and use only that one lens for a day or ten. I still do WHATEVER IS NECESSARY to make a picture. This luckily no longer keeps me locked in a smelly darkroom endlessly. I love digital! But I still shoot negative film. It keeps me humble.

Cheers!