Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New member from Canada

Hey everyone! I love this forum, it's great to have such an active community just for Pentax cameras. I've been here many times through Google searching for gear reviews and troubleshooting issues, but I haven't posted, and I don't know if I will end up posting all that much, but it's time I at least said hi. I've recently discovered the Marketplace, which could be a valuable resource in the future, and the Monthly Contests, which could be a good deal of fun.

I own two Pentax K-x's that I bought last year. The second was an emergency purchase in Iceland after the first got wet and refused to work until weeks later when I got home and put it next to a dehumidifier. Now I have two cameras and consider it a great luxury and convenience! I just have the kit lens and a 50mm 1.7f M from eBay and aspire to the K-5 (as much for its exp. bracketing and other features than for IQ) and a wide-angle lens. The K-x is my first DSLR, so I'm new to the game, but I've spent a lot of time learning photography in the last year. I enjoy all types of subjects, but landscapes are probably my favourite. I don't know if photography will remain a hobby or turn into a potential job, but either way I want to learn and get better.

That's enough about me! Looking forward to participating.

10-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome (officially) to the forum, sounds like you've found your way around already, I look forward to seeing some shots from the 2 cameras. (I frequently carry 2 bodies with me - cripes i had 3 on my vacation - 1 was film) It's a habit from when i shot a lot of film then for having different film loaded (usually Slide and b/w) now to have 2 lenses ready to go since i shoot mostly primes
10-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you!

I usually have one loaded with the 55-300 and the other with the 18-55, so if anything interesting happens at home I'm ready for all circumstances. But I haven't carried both around with me very often when travelling. I need to figure out a way of carrying them both comfortably. I haven't noticed any difference between the two cameras, besides that one bears some water damage on a corner of the LCD, so I use them interchangeably.
10-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a big bag for transport to get me there when travelling, then i strip the insides and form an insert for a smaller lighter canvas messenger bag that will hold 2 bodies lenses attached and 2-3 more lenses (mostly small primes)
My walkabout in Barcelona was that bag a DA14, M28, M50, M100, M200 and a KM film body. the other digital body sat in the apartment or went out with my wife with the Da18-55 Wr attached
really only took the spare digital body on the trip because 2 people had had their kit stolen in barcelona so better safe than sorry

10-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
That must be a big bag to hold two bodies and a bunch of lenses! I have a Lowepro bag that will hold one body+kit lens, the other kits lens and a prime. I could stuff more primes in there if I had them, but I like to keep all those lenses well padded. I might have to get a roomier bag for the next trip, but depending on who is travelling with me, someone else might be happy to take the other camera around in its own bag.

Either way, I do love having more than one camera, especially having gone through several critical days without one on that trip to Iceland. It was a strange feeling when I got home from that trip...within three months I went from a DSLR being just a dream to having two of them!
10-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

not really big but it is heavy, the outer part is just a top shop canvas messenger bag, the inner is bits and pieces from my huge crumpler
nice and stealth
10-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah, mine screams "CAMERA!" but I keep it very close at all times.
10-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Just got a second camera myself - love the idea of two lenses all ready to go.

10-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you, Arn! You have a K-5? I hope to get one eventually, when the price goes down and reliability issues addressed. Not that I need THREE cameras! But it has all the features I miss in the K-x.
10-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter

You can never have enough cameras! I just purchased my 13th Pentax body, all film and all fully working.

Welcome to the PF!

Phil.
10-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
Wow, I hope you don't carry them all at once! Thanks for the welcome.
10-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DK77 Quote
Wow, I hope you don't carry them all at once! Thanks for the welcome.
Never more than two at a time and that’s only when I’m traveling between destinations. Once I arrive one body/lens are left behind, preferably in the hotel safe as a backup.

My kit is always one body, one wide, one standard and one telephoto lens. The lenses are mostly primes and the focal lengths vary per trip.

Phil.