Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Howdy from Edmonton

Hello all. I'm getting back into the photo hobby after some years away. Last SLR was a Pentax MZ, and I've had some fun recently with a Fuji F80EXR (a great p&s camera). But I just unboxed my new K-5 with DA 18-135 lens selected in part with info learned from this site. Figured I better join, say thanks for the info, and participate.

So howdy from the soon-to-be-frozen north!

john a

10-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, John! Do you still have the MZ and any of the older lenses? Enjoy your K-5; I'm sure you will.
10-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yep, I still have the MZ and two zoom lenses that I have to bring out of the closet to see how they work on the K-5. I also have a Pentax flash from that camera that I'm hoping will function well with the K-5, but I haven't had time to research it yet.

Would have been nice to have had the K-5 when we visited the Biltmore in NC last year. Guess I'll have to come back down there (if only for the bar-b-cue).
10-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well the 18-135 will serve you will with all the wind and blowing snow.. I still don't think the K-5's recommended operating temperature range drops to F-n' cold.. as Edmonton gets. back when I lived in Calgary at least they got multiple chinooks, hope you get at least a few this winter!

10-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Welcome, good to see another Pentax shooter in Edmonton. If it's going to be as cold as predicted this year, the K5 will serve you well!
10-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Heh, I lived in Edmonton for 9 months too many (9 months total) then moved back to Calgary. Now I'm back in the snowbelt of BC, I'll take our 15-17 feet of annual snow fall over that -20 C from december to march! I spent 9 years in Alberta, some parts of it I miss... but the windchill and the dry cold.. I definitely don't! The K-5 is great for out playing in the snow!
10-21-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Snow. Yuck. We're at 3500 feet in the Sierra Nevadas of California, and last winter had 30 feet of snow piled up around the house. For a week, we couldn't get to the house; for another week, we couldn't get out. Not this winter -- we're heading down to our historic adobe at 5500 feet on the Arizona-Sonora border, to spend January-May in the company of Canadian snowbirds just steps from Mexico. We might take a drive to Guatemala while we're at it.

I read a note on another forum from a guy in Minnesota who said he was going to strap a snow-blower atop his car and drive south until people pointed and asked, "What the hell is that thing?" and that's where he'd stop and settle down. Snow. Yuck.

Y'all have fun up north this winter. Cheers!
10-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all. I appreciate the warm welcome.

john a

10-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, john a. Back at the wet coast now, although I've done my share of shovelling!