Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New to Pentax

I've had my Kr for almost a year now & just love it! My previous SLR was a yashica FR film.
I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I do most of my shooting in RAW and use ACDsee 14 as my photo manager / editor etc. .
Question:
I've see some beautiful landscape pix using the HDR function. Most of mine work out resonably well. However, to often, there is a weird flare / colour distortion that I haven't been able to sort out . ( I am using a lens hood). In fact, my success rate has been better shooting into the sun, vs with my back to the sun.
I'd appreciate your thoughts...

10-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums. Are you using the kit lens for your shots? Can you post some examples?
10-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, from another grandpa a little west of you. Have you tried exposure bracketing?
10-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The HDR mode inherently does bracketing. I will post an example on the just previous message.

10-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here's a couple of examples. The HDR image has a "halo" effect around the trees
Attached Images

10-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the only way to fix this is in photoshop, which would be really hard with those trees. Try bracketting your own images and not using the built in HDR. Then you can play with the settings. This should probably only happen in high contrast situations.

Best Free High Dynamic Range (HDR) Software

I would also repost this in the beginner's forum as you'd likely get more help from seasoned landscape shooters.

Last edited by kenafein; 10-23-2011 at 07:31 PM.
10-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, Grampa Kr. I'm new to the forum as well, and am just south of you in Minnesota. It's been a long time since I've been to Manitoba and Winnipeg, but would love to return there (and take photographs, of course).

My K-110D doesn't have an HDR mode, but it has auto-bracketing which I use to take three exposures for HDR. Then, I load the photos into HDRtist Pro for the Mac. I've experienced the halo effect as well, mostly in pictures with a blue sky. I'll try kenafein's suggestions, too.