Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 04:23 AM   #1

Greetings to Pentaxian from France

Hi there!,

I'm a happy newcomer to Pentax family. Recently bought a used K10D that we use with my wife's old M-series lenses that she uses with her old and great looking MX body.

I'm also a strong supporter of a full frame Pentax DSLR as most of you guys are as well (that would be really great to use those wonderful 50mm at their original features...).

Talk to you soon,

FL.

10-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I love the M-series lenses too. Full frame -- ah, don't get us started! See you around, enjoy the forums and your new K10D (my camera too).
10-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks ! I'm amazed how lively this forum seems ! I've already found lots of info about the metering issue with our M-lenses. Have you experienced the same and have you tryed the istD focusing screen ? I'm about to order one..
10-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome on board

more and more frenchy here, that's great !

cheers !

10-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeansaul Quote
Thanks ! I'm amazed how lively this forum seems ! I've already found lots of info about the metering issue with our M-lenses. Have you experienced the same and have you tryed the istD focusing screen ? I'm about to order one..
Haven't found any issues with metering. The Green Button is only a first approximation of correct exposure and is sometimes way off, but I haven't really studied how to get the best use out of it -- I just do previews and check the histogram until I get it right.

istD screen? Why? (I ask out of curiosity; just hadn't heard of using it on the K10D.) I am considering the S-type screen from focusingscreen.com. Here's a thread with lots of info: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/142241-best-screen-ever-...anon-ee-s.html
10-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello Jeansaul!

Greetings from the Provence!
Yeah, I tried a LL-60 screen, and it does wonders with the K10, solves nearly all metering woes you have with the stock screen.

But, frankly, the EE-S screen is a way better option! FocusingScreen does propose them either blank or with the AF frame, for not much more than a LL-60 screen...
10-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks all for greetings and info !

@dlacouture: I read the thread you initiated about putting the ee-S Canon focussing screen. It does seem great indeed, but my only worry is that it seems to make the viewfinder darker, is it so ? Plus what do you need to do to adapt it to fit the pentax carriage? You need to saw it and put some tapes ? From afar it seems a little complex for my modest camera diy skills .
10-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That's why I mentioned FocusingScreen : they sell them already cut down and with the proper shims (instead of using Scotch tape), for 20€ more than the regular price (where you have to saw and shim by yourself!)... Not a bad price!

As for making the viewfinder darker, it's true, but it's really negligible: we are talking about a 1Ev difference in the worst case (and that's fast lenses), and it evens out below f/4...
With slower lenses, it's even the contrary : the EE-S is brighter...

Another thing to note : it is more finely grained than the stock screen, so focusing in low-light level is in fact easier, even with the slightly darker viewfinder. The stock screen is really coarse in low-light and you don't see much...

11-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi there,

Reporting from focusing screen experience. I finally opted for the LF-60 screen from old istD DSLR (found a great deal at <30€ shipped). So far it's doing really good, removing all the metering issues untill f8.0 (on a SMC-M 28mm f2.8), and then constantly and gradually under-exposing till a -2 or -3IL at f22. So this was a quick test on low light condition, with only this manual 28/2.8 lens. But I'm happy since I usually rarely go beyond f8 anyway, so LF60 focusing screen is just fine for me right now. I keep however the EE-S screen in mind if I happen to be using faster lenses --by the way, thanks Dlacouture for your advice !