Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi From Melbourne.

Hi everyone, I'm Mychael (Mike). Just found this forum today.
I used to play around a bit many yrs ago with 35mm and only ever owned Pentax in SLR. It just worked out that way, my mate had a Pentax so I bought on his advice.
I was never anything flash as a photographer and any skills I might have had have long since been lost so I'm really starting again.
I used to own MG and ME Super, I've donated the bodies to Uni students studying photography but kept all my lenses of which I have a good selection.
This has pretty much locked me into Pentax again.
I was going to get a KR but have decided to save a bit more and get the K-5 as it will most likely be the first and only DSLR I'll be likely to buy.

Currently I'm using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 which has a Lecia lens. It's only a P&S though it does have full manual modes available but being a compact they don't have the same control as you'd get on an SLR.

So anyway I wont have much to contribute for quite a while, lots of questions later on when I get my new camera but for the moment I'll hover on the fringes and read the posts.

Cheers.

10-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Mike. Quite a few Pentaxians in Melbourne, it seems. Using the older lenses on the new Pentax DSLRs is lots of fun and can give great results, as many forum users here can attest and demonstrate.

Some have started using their classic Pentax (and other) lenses on the new EVIL (or MILC as some prefer) cameras, so a Pentax DSLR isn't your only option for using the old lenses again.

Enjoy.
10-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Welcome Mike. Quite a few Pentaxians in Melbourne, it seems.
Some have started using their classic Pentax (and other) lenses on the new EVIL (or MILC as some prefer) cameras.

Enjoy.
Hi, thanks for your message. Not sure what you mean about the other Cameras. (EVIL/MILC) Please enlighten me.

Mike
10-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #4

Welcome Mike!

As baro-nite mentioned there are lots of Pentax Forums members floating around Melbourne

Make sure to shout out if you have any questions!

Cheers

Jake (mclarenman01)

10-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
Not sure what you mean about the other Cameras. (EVIL/MILC) Please enlighten me.
A quite new class of camera, with interchangeable lenses but not SLR. (MILC is for mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Arguably the better acronym is EVIL, for electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens.) With no mirror the registration distance is smaller than for any SLR, so with the appropriate adapters you can mount just about any lens on one. Pentax doesn't (yet) make such a beast, so to find discussion here check Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com.

Last edited by baro-nite; 10-24-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo
10-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jake. I'll most likely lurk about for a bit till get my new camera. Lots of reading to keep me going in the meantime.

Cheers,
10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
A quite new class of camera, with interchangeable lenses but not SLR. (MILC is for mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Arguably the better acronym is EVIL, for electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens.) With no mirror the registration distance is smaller than for any SLR, so with the appropriate adapters you can mount just about any lens on one. Pentax doesn't (yet) make such a beast, so to find discussion here check Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Yes, I've seen something like that, I think it was a Ricoh (haven't they bought Pentax?) GXR, where you buy different 'inserts' if that's the correct term for it. Was not aware they could also take conventional lenses.
Or do you mean something like a Panasonic G-1 which I think had a removable lens?
10-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome here Mike. Though Pentax has the Q system, it's more of a niche, lifestyle product than a serious photographer's kit - however, it's been praised to produce very good quality images in proportion to its tiny sensor size.

Enjoy the forum.

10-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
Thanks for clarifying that for me. Yes, I've seen something like that, I think it was a Ricoh (haven't they bought Pentax?) GXR, where you buy different 'inserts' if that's the correct term for it. Was not aware they could also take conventional lenses.
Or do you mean something like a Panasonic G-1 which I think had a removable lens?
The Ricoh is indeed such a camera, although with its lens/sensor inserts it is not yet so adaptable as other cameras in this category. I think they've released one or two adapter inserts, though. I'm not up on Panasonic model #s but they do indeed have several EVILs.

As Ash points out Pentax does make the Q which is in the same class; I was mistaken to say Pentax didn't make one. I tend to think of it as in its own class -- EVIL, but ultracompact and with a much smaller sensor than most of the other EVILs. But there is a K to Q adapter so you can use K-mount lenses on it. But talk about crop factor...

Last edited by baro-nite; 10-24-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: addendum
10-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gidday Mike, you'll lkie the K5 with them old lenses.
Just steer clear of the lens review section.
10-25-2011, 04:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks mate. I put in a post in another section about choosing either Kr or K-5. My only concern with getting the K-5 is that the only way I can afford that is to buy the body only, no kit deals. So just hoping if I go that route that the learning curve wont be too high in learning the new camera AND getting it to work with MF lenses at the same time.
If I were to go for the Kr then I'd get at least one AF lens to begin with but I realize of course that the K-5 is the better of the two all other things being equal.

Last edited by Mychael; 10-26-2011 at 04:25 AM.
10-26-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'll do fine with the lenses, camera set to M mode, remember to press the green button before firing off a pic to get the correct exposure, easy peasey. M42 lenses using the M42 adaptor in AV mode normally meter about right.
10-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know I wont need an adaptor for my lenses as we tried them in the shop. Actually on a K-5 if I remember correctly. I'll have to go through all my lenses, some might even have an "A" setting on the aperture ring. So does the green button give you a live view or a viewfinder view of the image and you see if the exposures correct? then if it's not you alter your aperture on the lens?

Last edited by Mychael; 10-26-2011 at 04:37 AM.
10-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

The green button just sets the exposure, and is hit or miss. To check it (and review a histogram if you like) you can then do the live preview (different switch) or simply take a shot.
10-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess I'll understand it better hands on but if your in manual mode when using the old lenses wont you be setting the aperture on the lens itself and then speed on the camera body (and iso).