Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2011, 04:55 AM   #1

Hello from Ontario

Another Canadian with a Pentax!
I started in 1976 at the Montreal Olympics with a new Canon FTB slr which morphed into an AE1 soon after. I switched to Pentax when I went digital and turned to the K100 which has now led me to my recently purchased K5
Fall colours are upon us and so far I am hooked on the K5 with the 18-135mm lens.
Why are so many Mac owners also Jeep owners also Pentax owners?? or is it just me ))

11-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know; last Jeep I had experience with was a total lemon. Then again, that was not long after the aforementioned Montreal Olympics! Jeep now appears to be one of the most reliable US automakers. Congrats on the K-5 and welcome to the forums.
11-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi

Welcome to the forum, from a Torontonian. Hopefully you don't hold that against me The forum is a excellent resource for info, and a lot of really great people willing to help a fellow Pentax user. Funny, I also am a mac user and I did drive a Jeep at one point. I thought it really funny (and great) that out of all the different cars out there, only fellow Jeep drivers would wave at each other on the road. I kinda miss that culture! This forum is kinda like that culture, look for the groups and meet-ups, and again welcome!
11-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome Avenger. The "Jeep wave" Well, I have a Liberty and a Wrangler. The wave only applies the the Wrangler...It's a Jeep thing... oIIIIo
I'm a bit of a Mac nerd too with an iMac and a MacBook Pro rounding the Apple off with an iPhone4, iPod2G and an iPad1.
My theory is Mac, Jeep and Pentax owners make their own decisions and don't follow the pack. I'm totally hooked on my K5
BTW I won't hold the Toronto thing against you....I've heard there are perfectly normal who have chosen to live there

11-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Welcome!
I won't comment on your choice of vehicle or computer but your taste in cameras is great :-)

I had a new 1969 Alfa 1750 GTV, we all waved at each other as Alfa owners in those days. Ditto older Ferrari's.
11-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, from the west coast. Macbook, K-5 and 18-135 here too, although I substitute a sports car for the jeep, and lba has broadened my lens selection.
11-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FYI

I noticed your area is southwest Ontario, timing is everything. The Toronto group of Pentax users are looking to head to Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls area Photo Trip? - Toronto Pentaxians - PentaxForums.com
11-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads-up Avenger. That would be a nice trip this time of year. The Botanical Gardens is worth the trip all on it's own!

11-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bender Quote
Why are so many Mac owners also Jeep owners also Pentax owners?? or is it just me ))
I've despised every Mac computer I've used, but I own a Pentax and my current car is my second Compass

Fall colours are upon us
All gone in Quebec city.

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Jeep now appears to be one of the most reliable US automakers.
Indeed. Most reliable american*brand last year.
11-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
"I've despised every Mac computer I've used"

A good carpenter never blames his tools
11-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

A good carpenter never blames his tools
If you want to play on those lines, a good carpenter also purchases high-quality tools... so the analogy won't hold.

I don't like the system, the structure, the philosophy, the lack of controls, the "looks-good-but-does-less" approach. I don't like how that company tries to convince you their low-res but high luminosity screen is worth 8x a higher-res, normal luminosity screen from another brand. But that's just me.

Let's not turn this into a Mac discussion. We'll stick to Pentax and Jeeps :P
11-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #12

Original Poster
I agree! Let's not turn this into a Windows vs Mac discussion. Wrong forum.
My first Jeep was a '51 Willys that somebody had stuck a Ford flathead 8cyl. into. It's a miracle I survived. I was saved by the fact I blew the transmission out of it!
My first 35mm SLR was a Canon FTB, which I still have.....Wish I had the Willys too!
First Computer (of sorts) was a TRS80 from Radio Shack.They are selling now for $200.00!
Sometimes change is good!
11-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
Forum Member

Back to photos and K-5's :-) A reminder of the colours in QC, Oct 16, during our cruise from Mtl to Ft Lauderdale
Attached Images

11-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

That's a great picture from Quebec! Although the detour sign is all too common these days, it seems we're repairing all our roads at once

I hope you enjoyed your stay here.
11-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #15
Forum Member

Thoroughly enjoyed our day (only one :-() Bought some lovely glass at a local studio, lots of walking. QC is a lovely city, friendly, clean, great food and arts.

It was part of our 20th wedding anniversary and also 58 yr anniversary of my arrival in Halifax at Pier 21 by ship. Gerrit and Pat’s Travels for more of the trip. Still working on the last few days worth of photos.

Gerrit