Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Wow...looks like I'm in good company! \

Recently sold a SMC Pentax-A 600mm ED (if). Buyer is complaining of 'purple fringing" that he can't get rid of in Photoshop lighthouse based on two poor photo's he's shown me? What? Says the lens needs repaired? What? My question: Is it not true that Chromatic Aberrations are a characteristic and not a defect in a telephoto zoom lens? Do you not work with any lens to find your perfect shot? Has anyone had simply no success in photoshop before not getting rid of CA?
I've many lenses and cameras, all film stuff. Love that! I don't have any DSLR cameras......yet. Maybe someday

Attached Images

11-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is not unusual on older (or for that matter newer lenses) this one is known for it wide open according to the review section. using a monster like this is always a learning curve and it sounds like the buyer needs to learn the lens' strength and weaknesses. I looked at the reviews and it looks capable of some very good performance in the right hands. not sure what $ you sold it at but the market average price is 1/3 or less the price of any of the modern stabilised AF lenses from canikon
PF seems to be more problematic on Digital than it was on film as well and this was of course designed for film. Wonder if the user extended the hood or had it retracted?
in reality many vintage lenses that perform very well in most situations suffer PF in challenging situations (i'll bet these were bird in tree shots against a blue or overcast sky)
11-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax-A* 600mm F5.6 ED [IF] Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Here is a link to the reviews on this site. The lens does suffer from PF wide open and with high contrast supposedly.
11-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh and Welcome to the forum.

11-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Hi, and thanks!

It stands to reason if you buy a lens, you would at least research it some to know what your getting. The information is all there online. then go shopping and get what you want knowing what your going to expect. ? especially if its the unexpected...
His purchase price is within reason for the lens. Sold on eBay winning against other bidders so he may have spent a few more hundred dollars than he wished to....but...well.....that's the eBay thing. Sometimes high, sometimes low...who knows? All my details of his lens are accurate and correct, including that I didn't take any pictures with the lens, just checked out all the functions on my pentax Zx-60 and the X370 film cameras. You know, focus, movements, aperture, filter compartment, cosmetics. Pretty simple lens really.
He may be using the lens as you say with a DSLR. Still fine, just maybe more CA to deal with. He still is complaining about CA and now the filter compartment door, says it won't open. Umm....opened fine for me, very clean inside too.

Anyway,.. I'm happy to be here and look forward to learning about photography and its adventures! I have some 50 film camera bodies and a host of lenses that I'm cleaning, selling, going to use some, and just learn about how to be a better photographer.
11-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
pentax CA

Nope, was a house Mexican style tile roof of sort of pink in the afternoon with poor lighting. And so far he hasen't taken any other photo's to try it. LensTest - hacktastic's Photos See if these pictures should be the ultimate test for this lens?
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

hahahaha those are pretty bad lens tests.

I think my first inclination would be to test it on what i bought it for (likely wildlife given the FL)

and maybe use a tripod and get them in focus (maybe turn off the SR if it's on a tripod too)

using a lens like that takes some practice to say the least

it looks like he shot wide open where CA is known to be an issue too

50 camera bodies i thought i was bad at 13

11-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pentax f=600

I agree, he could have picked a much better photo opportunity. Still convinced that the lame attempt is a front to suggest a partial refund to "fix the lens".
Yea, I'm collecting cameras quickly, use all bodies to test the lenses that I have and buy. Sometimes I just want to keep them all. When I'm working on a lens, I feel at peace, comfortable. I sometimes take apart a lens and poof , 3-4hrs go by!
I have several hasselblads to look at tomorrow to maybe purchase and a few of the normal AE-1's with extra stuff. Im in the middle of trying to get my Yashic-C shutter lever/blades to work properly. (now that's a challenge! So many tiny parts....)

My brother used to develop film years ago, and has a great love of cameras and photography today. I have realized in my later years what it really meant to him. I'm glad I found the love of cameras and their jewelry complexity/simplicity and beauty so we can enjoy them together. As I said I don't have a DSLR but I may at some point. How bout you? What do you shoot? Are you finding any problems with anything in-particular? 13 cameras, still that's 12 more than most people!
11-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi and thanks! Wonder my buyer didn't check that out. There is very little information online you cannot get to help you learn, laugh, love or imagine!
11-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

mostly i shoot my k7, but i have and use ist ds, k10, k7, olympus e300 for digital
film i have and shoot
sv, spotmatic, mx, km, fed 4, fed5 mamiya super 23, bronica etrsi

less used are the following
konica ee, holga, lomo fisheye, lomo supersampler, and a canon 115 p/s zoom
the lomos have all been gifts and though fun i wouldn't buy them,

just realized that's 17

and i have a number i'd like to get too ..... cba just goes hand in hand with lba
11-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I'd be ok if you wanted to send me that lens for "Testing".. I'd even pay shipping!
11-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, but don't send the lens to Chex. He lives in such a beautiful part of the province that he'd just keep using it, and using it, and....
11-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well proper testing DOES have to be thorough... I'd hate to be accused of poor QC!
Recently I've seen a few FA-600's online and I just drool.. if only I could somehow afford it!
I think I'd be best waiting to see the future of (hopefully Pentax) FF camera equipment in the next 12 months before throwing down the $$ at this sorta lens though.
11-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@chex Where have you seen these FA-600s?

Edit: Moved from other thread

Greetings Trigger, and welcome to the forums.

If the seller is trying to return the lens, ultimately with ebay/paypal's terms of service, there's not much you can do but accept the return. The buyer generally has to pay return shipping, however, if you wish to maintain your feedback rating, sometimes, there's not much you can do other than pay for the return shipping. If the buyer would like, I'd be happy to take a look at the images.

Without seeing the image, I really doubt there's is anything wrong with the lens. I own the A* 400/2.8 and it does have CA in high contrast situations. If I wish to avoid it, I have to stop down probably at least 1 stop, or try to shoot the subject without the same types of high contrast transitions. Sometimes I give up and fix the images in post. There are several forum members whom own this lens who can probably chime in.

I expect that you'll be able to sell the lens here on PentaxForums quite easily (and to members who understand the strengths and weaknesses of this glass). Keep the buyer happy, inform them, and ebay/paypal you are accepting the return, and decide if you are willing to eat the cost of return shipping. I encouraged a few members here on the forums to purchase this lens from you in any event.

Last edited by Clinton; 11-09-2011 at 06:23 PM.
11-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I looked at the sample image.

There's a few problems that I see there. I don't see anything in the photo that is actually in focus. That's strange considering they shot it at a reported F11. It's also a little strange that there is any fringe at F11. That could be because of a focus error on the user's part, or it could be motion blur due to shooting at 1/160th of a second. If the user doesn't have a very steady tripod, (and even if they do) they should try getting the shutterspeed up to 1/600th (possibly with shake reduction turned off) before making any qualified decisions. Lets not forget about extending the hood, and also making sure the rear filter is securely in place.

I would also recommend the user focus in live view, and click info a couple of times, so they are focusing at 4x or 6x magnification to pinpoint the focus.

It's possible they missed the focus point, and we are seeing lateral CAs, or that the slower shutter speed made an image that looks like CAs.

Last edited by Clinton; 11-09-2011 at 06:27 PM.