Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
New to pentaxforums.com

Hi everyone!

My name is Darren Coull, born in Maidstone, Kent, UK, but now living in Melbourne, Australia, and I am so glad that I have found this forum - looks like an invaluable resource to get me up to speed with my new Pentax. What did I get, I may hear you ask? Well, as my old Minolta D'image Z1 was getting a little old (understatement of the century!) I decided to splash out on my first proper DSLR camera. Having already inherited a couple of Pentax fitment Sigma lenses (28-90mm Macro & 100-300mm Zoom) I decided to go with the Pentax K-r.

The options on the camera at first glance are a little overwhelming, but I am determined to keep learning until I can master at least most of the important ones!

I have posted a couple of pics on 500px.com/finisterre as an early test - hopefully many more to follow!

If you have read this far, thanks for your time, and see you in the forums!

Darren

11-04-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Darren! Seems like every other new forum member is from Melbourne lately. Enjoy the K-r. Lots of approaches you can take to learning to use it, and I dare say you'll get lots of opinions here if you ask. I think the most important factor you gain with the move to DSLR is control over aperture and hence depth of field (DOF). For that reason I think you'd do well to put the camera in Av mode and then experiment with aperture, especially wide (i.e., small f-number) apertures.