Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
New member from Chilliwack BC Canada

Hi! My name is Ken Bramble and I am a retired school administrator with a passion for photography. I have been taking photos since I was in high school way back when in New Zealand. I used photography and photos a lot in my work as a teacher and right after retiring I was fortunate to receive an opportunity to teach digital photography and computer classes on cruise ships. For two years my wife and I travelled the world, all expenses paid and had a wonderful time. Since then I have given workshops and do a lot of volunteer photography for local charities, service clubs and organizations. For the last couple of years I have been doing free lance work for the film industry, location stuff, and shooting for the local tourism commission. I am also doing some event photography for various groups and organizations. I love my hobby and until a few days ago I was exclusively a Nikon guy but I use to own a Pentax Program A and loved it back in the film days. A couple of days ago I received a Pentax K7 with two WR kit lenses. So far I'm finding it lots of fun and a bit less serious than my Nikon D7000. I enjoy learning how to use my cameras almost as much as using them so I'm looking forward to leaning all about the K7 from those of you who have been using Pentax cameras for sometime. Cheers - Ken

11-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, Ken. Lots of opportunity for great fall shots out in the valley.
11-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yesterday I was up Silver Lake Road, just this side of Hope and got some nice fall images. If you are ever after a field trip and have a day for it, give it a try. You take the Flood Silver exit off the freeway and head up the Skagitt Valley. It goes all the way up to Ross Lake and makes for some great photo ops. Do you think there is much difference between the K7 and the newer K5? From what I have read the K5 has the same sensor as I have in my Nikon D7000 and it is great. Nice hearing from a fellow BCer.
11-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi from kamloops and welcome to the forum.

11-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks. Know Kamloops well. Met my wife in Merritt in 1968 when we were both teaching there. Still have friends living in Kamloops.
11-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Helloooo' mainlander!

My wife and I had our first official date in Chilliwack BC. Well actually... I think it might of been Abbotsford(Castle Amusement Park?) I'm not sure. Anyways, we left BC and moved to Atlantic Canada(way out there) and haven't looked back since. Though I think were going to return to BC for our 20th

Many good memories in the lower mainland, though I miss Kelowna the most myself.
Anyways, welcome aboard!
Looking forward to seeing some pics.

~JohnBee
11-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum from Coquitlam!

11-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re the D7000, K-7, K-5, I looked at dpreview (and other sites) a lot before I bought my K-5, and used the comparisons available, like the following:Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review
For me, knowing the 3 cameras to all be good, I went with the K-5 for image-stabilization, WR, iso performance, availability of old lenses, and just how comfortable it felt to use. I have to say that I also like using my little K-x. (Also a retired teacher.)