Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #1

New m42 user

Hi all, I am new member and also new in photography field. I just pick up a chinon cs (pretty good condition) and i am interested to learn in this new field. I just bought smc takumar 85-210 f4.5. I am looking for suggestion for 28-80 zoom lense with screw mount. Please advise what i need to buy (something decent since I am new student in this field). Your advise or input is greatly appreciate it. thanks.

11-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! As far as Pentax lenses go, there aren't very many screw mount zooms...but you can always browse around our lens databases to see what else is out there! I would also recommend posting in the lens or film SLR forums.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

One route to an M42 zoom lens may be to explore the Tamron Adaptall 2 series lenses. The adapter plates for M42 are readily available (used, of course) and the Tamron lenses are quite good, especially in the M42 world: solid construction and hold up well over time. Look at the lens database here for Third Party lenses and Tamron Adaptall zooms.

There are some of these for sale in the Marketplace now, as well as elsewhere in the Internet online purchase world.

Vivitar made some adaptable mount lenses, too, in the M42 days called the TX mount. Some of these are pretty decent lenses and M42 mounts are most common.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 11-09-2011 at 01:25 AM.
11-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. You might also want to try some of the old M42 primes - lots available in the Marketplace, good prices, and great for working on manual skills.

11-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advises. I searched and found the following lenses that probably suit my need for at this moment (all Tamron adaptall lenses):

35-105mm F2.8
28-80mm F3.5-4.2
28-105 F2.8 (a bit expensive)

which are the above are best suite without breaking the budget and not too much sacrifice the IQ? any experience with those lenses?

any other options that I might look for?
Thank you.