Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #1

Rookie from Greece

Hello from turbulent Greece, everybody.

Not only am I new to Pentax, but I'm new to DSLR in general... This means I don't have much to say about photography and gear due to lack of experience, so I guess I won't be a prolific contributor to this site any time soon. I'm sure I will learn a lot of things in this forum.
Until recently my only camera was a humble Panasonic TZ5. I shot a great amount of images with it and I'm quite proud of some of them, but that's probably because I don't have the eye of an experienced ... Maybe I'll post some of them.

A few months ago I updated to a Panasonic FZ45, which with a DSLR-like layout proved to be a very good school for me. I knew the basics quite well but this camera helped me to better understand all the manual controls (PSAM etc), see what effects all these can have, and master them to the benefit of my pictures.

I felt confident quite soon and that's when the K-5 came into play...

I chose it over a Canon 7D and a Nikon D7000 due to it's excellent reviews, its weather sealed body (I need that!) and just because I "felt" this is the one to have. I ordered it on October 21st and I received it on 27th October with the 18-55 WR kit lens. It felt special right out from the box (by the way, does everyone else has that childish feeling while unwrapping their new "toy" or is it just me??? ). It felt solid, non-intimidating, camera-like as opposed to computer-like.

Within two weeks I had the chance to use it quite a lot. I'm still on a beginner's learning curve, and I shoot about everything and everywhere, but I'm already loving it. I shot about 500 photos so far, most of them experimenting and therefore about 300 of them had to be deleted... , but that's ok because I really like the remaining ones. As a beginner, I miss the preset "scenes" that other cameras have, but I know I'll be able to shoot nice sunsets with the K-5 at some point. I know I must invest in some better lens but that's not possible for the next few months...

Overall, it feels nice to be in Pentax-land.

(did I say too much???...)

11-11-2011, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome!
11-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Everyone likes unwrapping new kit, and yes, I too feel like a kid. Enjoy and welcome to the forums.