Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 416
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
There are quite a few of us on the forum here. I have shot kid sports, and been published, with the first ever Asahi Pentax. It was a bit more complicated than the new cameras to operate. Here is the basic operating sequence.
  1. Load film and advance four frames.
  2. Put the end of the film box in your pocket, so that you could remember what you had put in the camera
  3. If you have a hand held meter, Set ASA on meter
  4. Aim meter at subject and transfer needle reading to dials
  5. If you don't have a meter, read the paper from the film carton
  6. From the available options, select a shutter speed and find the appropriate aperture, or
  7. Select the aperture and find the appropriate shutter speed
  8. Pick up the camera, and decide which of the two shutter speed dials on the camera has the speed you need
  9. Make sure the other dial is set to 1/25 so as not to confuse the mechanism
  10. Set the aperture on the aperture ring that clicks into place
  11. Open the aperture with the other aperture ring
  12. Wind film to cock the shutter
  13. Frame
  14. Focus
  15. Just before releasing the shutter, stop down the lens with the free moving aperture ring
  16. Press shutter button to take picture
And you think you have it difficult these days.
All that was easy back 40-50 years ago when brain was still young and working properly.My head still has that program working but can't always remember what mode or function the e dial or green button is in.
Jake

11-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #17
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Arn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,595
Welcome, and glad you found the forum, *Ltd.
11-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
All that was easy back 40-50 years ago when brain was still young and working properly.My head still has that program working but can't always remember what mode or function the e dial or green button is in.
Jake
After nearly four years with the K10, I still expect the e-dials to be the other way around. Don't know why, but always I turn the front wheel when I want the back and vice versa.
11-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,123
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
There are quite a few of us on the forum here. I have shot kid sports, and been published, with the first ever Asahi Pentax. It was a bit more complicated than the new cameras to operate. Here is the basic operating sequence.
  1. Load film and advance four frames.
  2. Put the end of the film box in your pocket, so that you could remember what you had put in the camera
  3. If you have a hand held meter, Set ASA on meter
  4. Aim meter at subject and transfer needle reading to dials
  5. If you don't have a meter, read the paper from the film carton
  6. From the available options, select a shutter speed and find the appropriate aperture, or
  7. Select the aperture and find the appropriate shutter speed
  8. Pick up the camera, and decide which of the two shutter speed dials on the camera has the speed you need
  9. Make sure the other dial is set to 1/25 so as not to confuse the mechanism
  10. Set the aperture on the aperture ring that clicks into place
  11. Open the aperture with the other aperture ring
  12. Wind film to cock the shutter
  13. Frame
  14. Focus
  15. Just before releasing the shutter, stop down the lens with the free moving aperture ring
  16. Press shutter button to take picture
And you think you have it difficult these days.
Thatís exactly why Iíll never switch to digital. The time it takes to setup and compose a film shot puts me in a ďzoneĒ, where I can tune out the world. This is why I love photography, shear bliss! The experience is made even more enjoyable by using older Pentax manual film cameras and MF lenses!

Also waiting for your film to be processed, lets you rethink each shot and makes it even more rewarding when you get it back.

Phil.


Last edited by gofour3; 11-19-2011 at 10:36 AM.
11-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
Chacun son gout!
12-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #21
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Wet Coast, Canada
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Thatís exactly why Iíll never switch to digital. The time it takes to setup and compose a film shot puts me in a ďzoneĒ, where I can tune out the world. This is why I love photography, shear bliss! The experience is made even more enjoyable by using older Pentax manual film cameras and MF lenses!

Also waiting for your film to be processed, lets you rethink each shot and makes it even more rewarding when you get it back.

Phil.

I held out for a long time but finally succumbed to digital. I skipped the entire autofocus film era. Some of the most ugly and passionless cameras were made then in my opinion. Even though I'm shooting digital, I'm still in the habit of carefully setting up, thinking and composing. I totally get "The Zone" that takes a hold of you when you shoot this way. It is The Joy Of Photography. I don't think I can ever lose that.
Film habits die hard. The rare, rare time that I do put the camera on continuous fire, I cringe when it fires a shot more then I intended before I realize that a SD card holds holds hundreds of frames! It's not a winder! To me, the perfect image is still the one that I can download into my computer and don't have to do any manipulating. Just me, the lens and the light. Funny thing though, when I download my photos, I find that the number of shots I've taken often equals a multiple of 36!
Good on you for holding onto film. The images from a modern digital camera remind me of fine grain slide film. Even washes out like slide film. Prints like Cibachrome. They have yet to recreate the subtle, graduated, wide range feel of print film. For that reason, I will also continue to shoot film as well digital. Now I'm thinking they must have a Photoshop filter for that look, but I'm not interested..
12-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member
LegOverHead's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 369
Welcome, and this is where ALL the Pentax users are!
12-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by LegOverHead Quote
Welcome, and this is where ALL the Pentax users are!
This is almost true, unfortunately, although I *have* run into a couple who aren't members. We're still almost invisible in the outer world...

12-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #24
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 51
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
After nearly four years with the K10, I still expect the e-dials to be the other way around. Don't know why, but always I turn the front wheel when I want the back and vice versa.
lol, so it's not just me! New to the K-5, I tried teaching my self that the front dial is for the shutter speed, since it's closest the shutter button. Next time I went shooting, I figured the front dial would be the aperature, since it's closest the lens! Only two ways to do it, but I always seem to start with the wrong one.

And of course, welcome *Ltd!
12-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
I'll join this club. I started with a Pentax where the aperture controls (yeah, preset) was WAAAAYYYY out front and the shutter speed dials on the body. I went through the K10D menus to see if I could make them the "right" way round, but there are some points where the settings can't be done. They are the wrong way round.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
canon, pentax, pentax shooters, site
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax, can you make a DSLR for sports shooters? luke0622 Photographic Technique 44 03-07-2011 05:50 AM
Brightroom Events does not accept Pentax shooters!! Nomad Photographic Technique 98 03-06-2011 05:13 AM
Call Pentax Portrait Shooters Framed Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 02-21-2011 09:31 AM
Maybe Canon shooters are more hardcore shooters than the rest after all jaieger Photographic Technique 32 02-13-2011 05:04 PM
hi pentax shooters mahmoud Welcomes and Introductions 3 01-09-2011 06:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top