Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Welcome, Ross. I'm interested to hear how the K5 compares to the Nikon.

Regards
Hi Sam I'm keeping an open mind about both cameras at this stage, I originally was going to sell the Nikon D300s and keep the Pentax K5 but I have had a bit of trouble with the kit lens 18-55mm there's a fault with it and my photos are very blurry down one side (RH). T Dimensions have agreed and I'm trying to get a Tamaron 17-50 f2.8 lens off them as I believe you need really good lenses with these high resolution sensors or your photos will look very soft.
I wanted a smaller camera but one that would be equal to the quality of the photos which I get with the Nikon D300s, so until I get the better glass on the K5 I'm keeping my options open. The Nikon with the 16-85mm lens takes a superb photo nice and sharp across it's focal range and the menus system is so easy to configure compared to the K5 but in time I will get use to the K5.
The one thing that bugs me, I have CS5 and NX2 to convert my Raw files to JPEG and a lot of these programs support Nikon and Cannon in their software but not so much Pentax.
Like if I shoot a wedding in RAW I can go into Nikon Capture NX2 and virtually change most setting like I would if I was using the camera, this makes it so good incase you mess up the lighting at an important function ect.
But I think I will be keeping both cameras at this stage as I can see the benifits of being able to use the K5 in low light conditions without the photos showing much grain. The Pentax K5 seems like a great little camera but as long as you don't use the cheap kit lens and get good glass. It's a lot better than the Nikon D7000 I use to own,I had too many quality control problems with that camera .

01-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dark_Mist Quote
Hi Ross.

Just another little snippet for you; you can set the range of auto ISO and whether or not to use auto ISO differently for each exposure mode. For example set it to auto ISO with a range of 200 - 1600 for program, auto ISO 200 - 400 for AV and auto ISO off for SV.

You may never use it but it's there for you.
Feeling like a beginner, as always, I just saw this post of yours while browsing for ideas on how to turn the Auto ISO off while I am in Av, taking pics with flash, and of course my question is: How?

You say you can choose to have it off/on for each exposure mode ... do you mean by storing the parameters in "User" mode or something else?

As I said ... a beginner's question from someone who is not a beginner but feels like it.

Cheers.

JP