Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #1

Hi from Tasmania

Today I'm a proud new owner of a Pentax K5, my other camera is a Nikon D300s so it's definately a steep learning curve to get use to the menu on the K5 at present I can't work out how to turn off Auto ISO. But I will do more reading the important thing I'm really impressed with the picture quality of this little camera and just love the way Pentax does colour and white balance.

11-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hello to Tassie.

To adjust ISO, hold ISO button and rotate rear dial. To re-instate AUTO ISO hold ISO and Green button.

I found the K5 took a while for me to settle into and the finesse of custom modes and buttons became more apparent.
T
11-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that, so simple and easy to do once you know, I just find the menu system so different to the Nikon. Another quick question what shooting style do you use I mean Vivid, bright, natural ect, I have started using Natural with contrast up +2 and sharpness +1. On my Nikon I use to always shoot RAW then convert to JPEG using CNX2 because in camera jpegs needed a lot of adjustment but this little Pentax the in camera Jpegs are so good I don't think I will bother shooting RAW again.
Please tell me your a Magpies supporter LOL
11-14-2011, 04:08 AM   #4
Forum Member

Ha, sorry, no Magpie supporter here. I picked up a D7000 and found it very different too.

I shoot raw only, but that's because I'm constantly playing around with exposure etc, so I leave it in Natural.
I did experiment with the JPG settings and found them to be very advanced. Using the Front thumb wheel in the JPG settings opens up Standard, Low and High key contrast adjust (notice the half-sun icon bottom right hand side). With sharpening you can adjust Sharpness and Extra Sharpness using rear wheel.

Hopefully someone who shoots JPG will chime in. I have found this forum to be a wonderful aspect of owning a Pentax.

11-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Ross.

Welcome to the Forums. There are a few of us here from the Hobart area, too. Some of us probably like football as much as photography but that doesn't mean we can't be friends!

Cheers
Rob
11-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Rob good to see another Pentax user on here, I wish I knew a K5 user in the Kingston area he could help me with all the options in the menu. My Nikon D300s was a breeze to learn and to operate compared to this camera, and the manual yuk.
11-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I don't claim to be an expert but a friend here is pretty well versed in the K-5. Unfortunately he's heading away later this week but we'll be catching up for coffee beforehand, so if you're in the city area during the day, you're invited too. Send me an email or pm if you can.

11-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #8

Hi Ross.

Just another little snippet for you; you can set the range of auto ISO and whether or not to use auto ISO differently for each exposure mode. For example set it to auto ISO with a range of 200 - 1600 for program, auto ISO 200 - 400 for AV and auto ISO off for SV.

You may never use it but it's there for you.
11-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dark_Mist Quote
Hi Ross.

Just another little snippet for you; you can set the range of auto ISO and whether or not to use auto ISO differently for each exposure mode. For example set it to auto ISO with a range of 200 - 1600 for program, auto ISO 200 - 400 for AV and auto ISO off for SV.

You may never use it but it's there for you.
Thanks for that what a cool feature. Boy I find the instruction book hopeless I would rather Google the subject and search for answers there.
11-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ross, my suggestion is to download the manual in PDF format. Then do a search for the subject you are looking for. Much quicker than looking through the paper manual.

Welcome to PF. Lots of Aussies on here.

I'm also from Melbourne, but I'm no Colliwobbles supporter, thats for sure. Go Blues!
11-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the forums! I visited Tassie earlier this year and boy was it pretty!! Can't help you with the k5 problem, but looks like everyone's chipped in and you've got it all sorted
11-16-2011, 05:10 AM   #12

Ross,

I agree with you about the manual. It can be difficult to find what you need and even then it often doesn't explain what the different settings actually do or why you might use them.

I bought the Magic Lantern Guide. It's written by Peter K Burian and is far more user friendly. Peter is a well known photographic writer.

Of course you can always post on here if you get stuck.

Cheers
11-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Goodaye Ross,
I've only had my K5 for not quite a week yet and still halfway through the manual.
So many options, it does get a little confusing.
I cant seem to get it to go to iso 80 even though I've set it for expanded sensitivity.

I'm a bad aussie, I don't follow the footy at all. Before all you soccer/rugby fans start crowing I don't follow them either. ;-)
11-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dark_Mist Quote
I bought the Magic Lantern Guide. It's written by Peter K Burian and is far more user friendly. Peter is a well known photographic writer.
Cheers
Where did you find a copy for the K5? On Amazon all I can find is for the K7 and other earlier Pentax.
11-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Welcome, Ross. I'm interested to hear how the K5 compares to the Nikon.

Regards