Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #1

My first DSLR -Pentax-K5

Hi, I am a pathologist involved in cancer research.This is my first DSLR and I purchased it after much deliberation; always like to find gadgets with solid built and those that pack an extra punch.

Without reading much from the user manual which is extremely daunting and very unfriendly, I used the K-5 in a recent Singapore trip. The photos were pretty amazing.

Love to travel and will be probably hooked to photography and would like to interact from professionals and seasoned users in this forum.

Cheers

11-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

This community is a very good way to learn to use your new Pentax and for photo tips in general.

Since you are new to DSLR, one way to improve your skills is to take part in some competitions-not so much to win, as to see how others are interpreting a particular theme for that month.

If you want something more engaging, try the Single in...challenges. This is located in Social Groups under Monthly Challenges. Basically you take a picture-a-day for everyday of the month that you join and post it. You will get some feedback and also see how others are doing. It takes some creativity to shoot pics daily. If I had the time I would join more. I have done it a few times. You can join in the beginning of a month.
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums
11-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #4

Wow - a K5 as your first DSLR? Nice!

11-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome !
I hope you are enjoying your new K-5 as much as I am. I just got mine about 4 months ago and am still learning about all the different things it can do and how to do them.
The link below is to an excerpt from a post written by Robert Johnston, a photographer that I admire, that provides what I thought was a simple but effective method of using that K-5 manual ( or any other manual ) and maybe making it seem a little less daunting.
Anyway, it is a terrific camera. Enjoy !

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/29-welcomes-introductions/109398d1321669028-my-first-dslr-pentax-k5-robert-johnston-quote-.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Robert Johnston quote .pdf (293.2 KB, 395 views)
11-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome. First dslr is a K5? What a way to start. Take your time in learning. Take a lot of pictures. It's free. Post some and ask for advice. The folks here are very willing to help and their knowledge is amazing. Have fun.

Dennis
11-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, picasso. You'll find lots of info and answers here.