Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #1

K-r or K-5?

Hello everyone, I currently am a D5100 user. Before I purchased the D5100 I was torn between that and the K-r. There are no local stores who carry Pentax so I was unable to try one out. Recently I purchased a Sigma 70-200 HSM II and really wish I had the OS but the cost of the lens was out of reach. Anyway something keeps drawing me to the idea of wanting a Pentax. I like my D5100 but would love to have IBSR and I dont use video much at all. I dont know whether to wait and see if the replacement for the K-r comes out soon or pick up a K-r. Do you think I would be disappointed in the K-r after shooting with the D5100? Should I spend the extra money and get the K-5, but it's double the price of the K-r.

11-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Can't answer your question about the cameras you ask about but a couple others,I have a K-X while my daughter has a 3100.We decided to do a test to see if one camera was superior.We both had the kit lens 18-50 ---18-55 and walked around the place shooting the same subject,same focal length and same iso.We could not tell that one was better than the other from that group.Later she wanted to try it again.I had changed my lens to the Promaster 28-105 ,had forgotten about it until we were already where we were going to shoot the test.One picture from my K-X was better,the 3100 picture had flare on a bicycle where mine was clear.Think this was the lens not the camera.
Jake
11-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if a Kr and Tamron 17-50 would be better than the K5 and kit lens and it would be cheaper.
11-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In terms of features, the K-r is roughly on a par with the D5100 while the K-5 is easily the equal of the D7000 and then some. The Pentax models are a good bit cheaper than the Nikon ones and rather more portable too. I'd say that the Pentax models look a lot better but that is subjective.

The main Nikon pros are the wide availability of kit and the ability to supplement the kits lens with a fast (F1.8) prime for under £200. Otherwise, the Pentax cameras represent a very good value proposition indeed. Something else to remember is that a great many Nikon lenses are aimed at full frame cameras which aren't nearly so useful on a DSLR (that 50mm prime, for example, is a less useful all-purpose focal length than the Pentax equivalent DA35) and a lot more expensive besides: the Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 goes for around £1200 compared to £600 for the Pentax equivalent DA* 16-50mm F2.8. And round here, the general consensus is that the DA* is overpriced!

For the money, the K-r is a heck of a lot of camera. You can even get it in a funky colour if you want (I wish I'd gone for the purple myself). That said, the K-5 is a far more desirable one. We're talking ruggedized pro grade with one of the best sensors available for around £700 or the dollar equivalent. If you can afford it, that's the one to go for.

11-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi. I own both a K-r and a K-5. The K-r is more value for the money than K-5. But if you want WR go for K-5. IQ-wise I think they are almost equal.
11-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

emotional and subjective, I recommend K5
11-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you already have a d5100 I would step it up to a K-5 or stay with the d5100. You'll definitely see a difference there

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

On the one hand, it is generally a good idea to spend less on cameras and more on glass. The differences in cameras are typically not huge and it basically comes down to which model you can handle best.

On the other hand, the K-5 is most likely the last camera you'll buy (before it will kick the bucket). By going for the model with the best sensor and better handling directly, you may save money compared to going via a K-r and ending up with a K-5 anyhow.

If you can afford it, go for the K-5 and build up the glass collection with the knowledge that you don't need to scout for another camera anymore.

Last edited by Class A; 11-24-2011 at 02:06 AM.
11-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #9

@Class A
I totaly agree with you. I own a Kx, and I'm really happy with it regarding IQ, but not ergonomically. There are not enough options accessable via buttons, and it's really a nag that I have to go to menu every time I want to change a setting. K5 is really a big succes on that field.

So my advice i buying a K5...you will be much happier with it, and you won't think about replacing it any time soon. I'd definetly purchase one myself if I could afford it.