Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #1

Leica M user coming over to Pentax

Hi everyone, I thought I'd introduce myself and explain what first made me buy a Pentax camera.

I used a Leica M6 system for many years and vowed I'd never go digital, but about 3 years ago I got sick of friends and family complaining I never had photos to share online or email. I therefore bought a Panasonic bridge camera - just for less serious work you understand. I was amazed - the quality was much higher than I had expected. I could make some very nice A4 prints from it, and enjoyed being able to do some telephoto and macro work for the first time since I went rangefinder only!

I found a place for it in my regular bag, but only in addition to my Leicas. After a couple of years however, I realised I was only really using film when the mood took me, and most of my family snaps were now on the digital camera. I wondered what a more capable digital system might do, and at what cost.

Sadly I couldn't afford an M9, but I was stunned when I checked the value of my Leica gear on ebay and realised the lenses were worth many times what I paid for them. I decided I couldn't justify having that amount of money on a system I now used less often, and decided to sell it.

I didn't want a huge DSLR, so thought MFT might be for me, especially if I kept one of my old lenses. I was at home with the small size of the MFT kit, but I didn't find the quality quite the jump from my bridge camera I was expecting.

I tried a Fuji X100 next, and loved the quality of the images, but found it was not quite a finished camera, and the fixed lens was too restricting.

It was then I discovered that not all DSLRs were so very large, and in the K5 Pentax had a relatively small but exceptionally good camera which cost little more than the better MFT models. It even had some nice primes, and was compatible with amazing value analogue cameras so I could still use HP5 when the mood took me.

Anyway, I'm now a proud owner of a K5 and some lenses, and although it's early days, it all seems promising so far. I do miss my Summicrons still, but it's amazing what I could afford in exchange! I hope to let you know how I get on and my further thoughts on the Pentax system once I've had a chance to put it through its paces.

11-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax and to the Pentax Forums! Looking forward to your thoughts on the switch (as well as your general contributions, of course). Enjoy.
11-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax. I like the low light abilities of the K-5. The K-5 even seems a bit faster than the K-7 at the same iso settings. The egronomics improve with a battery pack. It fits in my hand nicely. I typically flip the battery backwards inside the pack and use it as a spare on my wildlife excursions. If you are looking for a super telephoto, the Sigma 500mm F/4.5 will work nicely.