Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

New (Old) Pentax user

Hello fellow Pentax users,

I am 49, wife and 3 kids, full-time job as a geologist for an engineering and environmental consulting firm. I live in Steamboat Springs, CO where it is now cold and snowy, just how I like it. :-)

I am new here, but a long time Pentax user. I first got into photography several decades ago in high school; I was given a Pentax K1000 with a 50 mm prime lens and soon after became the high school photographer, black and white darkroom, then onto color Kodachrome. Fast forward a few decades, add a few kids, and got into P&S with a Pentax Optio W10, which I still have and still love. About a year ago I decided to get back into (D)SLR photography and purchased a Leica V-Lux 2, which is actually considered a ZSLR - fixed lens, 28-600 mm F2.8 - excellent camera for what it is, but not a great sensor, and no ability to change lenses.

So yesterday I took the plunge and upgraded to a Pentax K-5 with the 18-55 mm kit lens. Woohoo! I wish I'd kept my 50 mm prime and a zoom I used to have. Any tips or suggestions on using this camera and lens?

Now the next step, after I take a ton of photos, is to get a prime lens (35 mm f2.4?), and a telephoto zoom (50-300 mm?). Any suggestions?

I will be here often, and look forward to discussing photography with all of you.

Ciao, Toby

11-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Toby, This is a great place to hang out. Congrats on the K5 purchase! The kit zoom is pretty decent. Once you get to like particular focal length you could choose a prime lens to buy. Our marketplace is great for lens buying.
11-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! 50mm Pentax primes from the late '70s / early '80s are mostly easy to find and quite cheap, so unless that K1000 came with a rare and costly f1.2 lens, you can easily get the equivalent of your old lens again to use on your K-5. Likely enough yours was an "M" series lens, probably the f/2 or f/1.7.

The DA 35 2.4 and the DA 55-300 are both well-regarded, good value modern Pentax lenses. But of course you have lots and lots of choices, among all the current Pentax lenses, older lenses, and third-party lenses. You'll find no shortage of opinions around here. Depends of course on what you want to shoot, under what conditions, your budget, and your general preferences.

Enjoy!
11-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to a very useful space in the web.

K-5 is awesome. Just received mine a few days ago together with a DA35 f/2.4 rather than another kit (have one from K200d). The kit is pretty decent, and the K-5 makes most slow lenses fast lens, if you consider that it is practical to use up to about ISO 3200 with little noise.

But the DA35 appears to be a good improvement on a kit zoom and seems to be a fine prime albeit a little plasticky. Nice bokeh and color, and surprisingly good IQ.

The DA55-300 is also very nice, and is a good deal better than the DA50-200, and the Sigma and Tamron 70-300 consumer zooms (I have both and DA55-300). For a hobbist like myself, this lens hits the mark. If you have a real burning desire for top IQ, then perhaps go to the next level.

BTW: also started with a K1000 as a school kid with a friend up the road having a dark-room and all. Strictly B&W, and a great learning experience.

Enjoy your toy.

11-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Toby, Good start with a k5, there are lot's of old Manual lenses about at really reasonable prices if you want to experiment (many but not all with better performance than the Kit lens)
I can see you will be a candidate for LBA (already talking about 2 more lenses ) Your DOOMED
11-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, I'm doomed. Can't wait ...