Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Hi from the Big Apple!

Just joined. A recent retiree returning to photography...was photo editor of my college yearbook and did my own darkroom work.

My first new "real" camera was a Spotmatic (sorry, Argus C3) with 50mm 1.4, 105mm 2.8, and 28mm 3.5.

Appreciate help acquiring a reasonably-priced, top-condition outfit. I'd probably go for the same lenses, though if I can afford it, the 105 would be replaced by an 85 and/or soft-focus.

Thanks!

11-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! If you want a full outfit for cheap check out our marketplace:
The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

I'd recommend the K-5 as it's an amazing body...

I wouldn't buy an actual soft lens because the same effect can easily be applied through post-processing, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums. You want a good kit? All it takes is money. Tell us how much you have and we'll help you spend it all. Let's see... a K5, complete set of Ltd's, some flashes...
11-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. As another recent retiree, I can confirm that it's much better trying to get some good shots than it is going to work. So get a kit, and get shooting! What kit? Depends on the budget - I love my K-5, but my K-x is also a great little camera.

11-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to have you here.
Look forward to your contributions on the forum.
Another vote for the K-5 - very good value at this point of time, and lenses are just a matter of time before you find the one(s) just for you. Check out this forum's marketplace.
11-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

After your responses, I'll have to take a look at the K-5; surprised no one said to stick with film and get an LX.

But the constant dilemma: buy what's available or wait for the next big thing? Like a Pentax FF digital because -- aside from the IQ that sensor size provides -- the crop factor really messes up those of us who do wide-angle shots.

Or live with the crop factor and go for IQ with the 645D (after taking out a home equity loan!) My goal is producing gallery-size prints, so the smallest would be 12x16 or 16x20.

A Happy Thanksgiving to all!
11-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think you'll find K5 shooters here who print at 16"x24", and 645D shooter printing at 4'x6' / 48"x72". For the K5, the DA12-24 is much admired and should be wide enough for you, FOV-equivalent to 18-36mm on 135/FF. Ultrawide lenses really are more affordable for APS-C than for larger formats.