Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #1

I'm not a member yet?

I've been lurking on the pentaxforums site for a couple of years now and just realized that I had never joined. So here I am.

I joined the Pentax family when the k-x came out as an entry into the DSLR world. I shot film on Canon 20 some-odd years ago as a hobby and am just now getting back into it. Kids will do that...

I always thought that I'd own a Nikon as my father couldn't say enough good about their optics. Of course he was taking surveillance photos on 5" film so the lenses were slightly more expensive than consumer.

I was on my way to purchasing to a D90. However, as I began reading recent reviews and perusing sites such as this I began to consider Pentax. Eventually I bought a k-x kit.

I wasn't crazy about the k-x. I really liked the low-light flexibility as I despise flash photography (party because I'm not very good at it). However beyond that, I was frustrated with it. I require the AF system as I've developed an astigmatism in my master eye. Without focusing information in the viewfinder, it was difficult to focus. As I began using the camera more, I grew tired of chasing down menu options to change settings. I recently sold the k-x and upgraded to a k-5. It's fantastic with perhaps the exception of the AF system which could be more flexible.

I have a single DA 17-70 SDM lens which covers most of my needs right now. I think it may have some issues with the SDM as it will not lock focus at either end of its range. Eventually I will probably replace it with a DA* 16-50 and 50-135. I also need a couple of primes but haven't decided (okay, haven't found a good deal) on them yet.

Anyway, I live in Richmond, VA and look forward to participating in the community. Since there isn't a Pentax retailer within 50 to 100 miles I'll be relying on everyone for support and guidance.

Thanks for having me!

11-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome As always, great to see another lurker join!

If you want the 16-50, there's a $100 instant rebate on it until the end of the week, but if you want an even better deal, check out the tamron 17-50:
DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm Comparison - Introduction

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums. Lot of good information available here.