Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #1

New to Pentax and Forums

Hello everyone !

My name is Rick and I am new to Pentax, having just bought a k-5 after being an Olympus shooter for several years. I actually did a bunch of research both here and elsewhere before making the switch. So far, I am very happy with my choice. I have no lenses yet, I've been renting some to try out before I make any decisions. Any help from forum members on choosing a good lens set would be appreciated. I shoot mainly sports and nature. I liked the 60-250 f4 when I tried it out, so I'm thinking that will be my choice for sports (although I want to try the 50-135 f2.8 also before buying). Where I'm more confused is for things such as landscapes, flowers, macro and general everyday use. I know I need to fill the wide end of the spectrum but I'm not sure how wide and expensive I want to go. With my old system I had coverage from 24mm to 400mm effective focal length. If I go with the 60-250, that would give me 90-375 efl but I'm not sure how to fill the gap from 24 to 90. I have a reasonable budget but don't want to spend a mint either. And it seems a shame to have a weather resistant body without putting a weather resistant lens on it, but then again I don't shoot too often in inclement weather. I will be looking in the lens forums, of course, but if anyone has guidance to a Pentax newbie, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

11-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board. Why not browse the Lens Review forum to get some ideas on which lenses you may require to suit your needs?
11-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, glad to be here. I've already been looking at the reviews and am starting to get ideas. I have time as I need to sell some of my Oly gear before I can make a purchase anyway.