Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Newbie that decided on K5

Hello,

I'm a Pentax newbie.. or at least until Black Friday- when I pull the trigger on the K5 and 31mm Limited lens.

Currently, I shoot primarily street photography in NYC:

www.digitalandfilm.com and 500px / Bob Brandoff

What got me here was the great price, weatherproofing, high-iso and awesome glass- like the 31mm Limited lens.

I have pretty much moved beyond my previous 4/3'rds camera's and kept only the Panasonic GH2 because it's like a lovable puppy.

I'm looking forward to contributing to this site and learning about the K5... and YOUR review was the best, BTW.

11-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and I glad you found the review helpful!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by digitalandfilm Quote
Hello,

I'm a Pentax newbie.. or at least until Black Friday- when I pull the trigger on the K5 and 31mm Limited lens.

Currently, I shoot primarily street photography in NYC:

www.digitalandfilm.com and 500px / Bob Brandoff

What got me here was the great price, weatherproofing, high-iso and awesome glass- like the 31mm Limited lens.

I have pretty much moved beyond my previous 4/3'rds camera's and kept only the Panasonic GH2 because it's like a lovable puppy.

I'm looking forward to contributing to this site and learning about the K5... and YOUR review was the best, BTW.

Welcome!

Coincidentally, I added a post yesterday asking whether to get a K5 or an m 4/3 for street photography. I have a Pentax K-r, but have been reading so many street photographers talking about the need to get camera that is less conspicuous than a DSLR, so I'd been thinking about an Olympus E-PL3, because it has fast autofocus, is small, and has a tilt screen that can expand my shooting / composition possibilities.

So when a street photographer posts that he is moving from 4/3 to the K5, I want to hear more.

Also want to hear what Black Friday deals you know of, since I just might follow you with a K5 purchase.....
11-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-5 is $1099 at amazon right now, that's a whole $100 off MSRP:
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-5-Digital-Black-Body/dp/B0043M6F14/

I'm sure you can find it for even less from more shady dealers.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
Welcome!

Coincidentally, I added a post yesterday asking whether to get a K5 or an m 4/3 for street photography. I have a Pentax K-r, but have been reading so many street photographers talking about the need to get camera that is less conspicuous than a DSLR, so I'd been thinking about an Olympus E-PL3, because it has fast autofocus, is small, and has a tilt screen that can expand my shooting / composition possibilities.

So when a street photographer posts that he is moving from 4/3 to the K5, I want to hear more.

Also want to hear what Black Friday deals you know of, since I just might follow you with a K5 purchase.....
I had the E-P2 (same form factor) and the G2 & G3.. all very nice but the glass just isn't there.. so I used Nikon and Voigtlander glass with an adapter, manual focus.

The exception to that rule is the excellent Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake- best for low profile shooting.

Many problems are popping up with 4/3rd's glass- the "rattlesnake" with the Pana-Leica 25mm/ EP3 and sub-par performance for lenses in the $800 range.

The best of the breed (with excellent video) is the GH2 with 20mm f1.7.. but the sensor is giving it's all and blown out highlights and noise above ISO 1600 is the norm.

I'll probably go to B&H as I love that store.. it's a photographers "FAO Schwarz" and I generally just park for less than an hour, so it's free.
11-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Bob. Those are great "people" shots on your link.
11-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
Welcome to the forum, Bob. Those are great "people" shots on your link.
Thank you.
11-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Welcome. You will love the K-5 (I love mine!).

11-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forums! You have the camera I want, treat it well!