Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #1

Trying to get back into it...

Hi, I'm not sure how in depth these are usually, but here's a brief history of my photography experience and raison d'Ítre for joining:

Have been into photography for a while now. Got started in college working in the B/W photography dept (filling film canisters, performing simple repairs on enlargers, etc). Still have a Sigma SLR from that time, though digital photography became rapidly more widespread and affordable about a year after.
Trying to keep up, I picked up a point and shoot (nikon coolpix). I won't trash it, but user experience won't be remembered fondly. More recently I've held onto a Canon S2 iS. An appropriate upgrade from the point and shoot, the Canon has been a nice step up, but in the end, something about it just doesn't feel right.

I find myself taking more and more pictures everyday (my artwork, products for a small business, and anything that catches my eye) and, suffice to say, the S2 IS isn't cutting it anymore (nor is an iphone). After much deliberation about my options -- mainly Canon Vs Nikon arguments -- I thought a lesser known, but still well featured camera might be the ticket. Thus after many hours of research, I'm very interested in picking up a Pentax K20d.

Look forward to reading more posts on the forums.

Robert

11-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Robert and welcome.

I've only been shooting for a year and still loving it
11-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Robert. As a K10D user I can attest that the older Pentax DSLRs remain eminently usable. As with the K20D (newer model) you get weather resistance and in-body shake reduction, in addition to the excellent Pentax ergonomics. And of course the Pentax compatibility with older lenses going back to the original K-series lenses from the 1970s, or the still older M42-mount lenses with an adapter.
11-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Robert

I came a long way from box cameras and older SLR with the K1000 being the ultimate camera for me at that time. I started digital with a small Sony, but felt limited and after a foray into superzooms decided on the K20. Had it now for nearly three years and if you enjoy half as much as I do, it will still be worthwhile.

Welcome and enjoy!

11-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums!

I started shooting over a half-century ago, got into digital a decade back, and bought my first dSLR (and first Pentax) just 3.5 years ago. I performed extensive research and analysis and chose: K20D, AF360, DA10-17, DA18-250, and FA50/1.4. Throw in a newer Tamron 10-24 and that's still my most-used kit out of ~225 lenses now. (I'm a lens trader on eBay.)

The K20D is just superb EXCEPT: 1) not the best hi-ISO performance, 2) not the fastest AF, and 3) not the quietest shutter. I'm not bothered. If those would bother you and you have the budget, the K5 just can't be beat. But these are both pro-quality cameras. Have fun!