Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #1

Hello Fellow Pentax Users

Hi everybody,

I was first introduced to the world of Pentax in about 1976 when I thought about buying a decent camera and my sister told me a work colleague of hers was selling one for £60. She brought it home for me to have a look at and decide. It was a Spotmatic SP500 and she was instructed to tell me that everything in the case was included except for the lens that was fitted ( the 50mm 1.4 Tak ) but it would have another lens. Being young and naive I didn't mind as long as it had 'A' lens. As soon as I took it out of the case I was hooked. It looked fantastic, felt fantastic and I had never seen the magic of Through The Lens composition and focussing before. I quickly agreed to the asking price and next day it came back but with a Prinzflex 35mm f3.5 if memory serves me. As I learnt about photography over the next few years my photos improved and I would try different techniques every month as featured in magazines. When it was introduced I longed for an ME Super but just couldn't afford one so I stuck with my trusty SP500 for 30 years. I added a Chinon 50mm f1.8 and a 70-200 Zoom which I bought from my sisters catalogue for a whole weeks wages ( on easy terms ha!) I always considered improving my lenses and splashing out on that ME Super but I never did. Anyway, Digital had arrived and my wife bought me a 1.3 megapixel Olympus for a ridiculous £660 which I used for a few years. One year however, on Holiday in the Greek isle of Kos we drove over a hill to behold a beatiful bay. I set up the Olympus on self timer on a mini tripod and joined my wife. When I got home and put the photo on my computer I was incredibly dissappointed. The view was nothing like the one we experienced. I knew it was time to go back to film, and the SP500 for all serious photos and keep the Olympus for snapshots. The Olympus was upgraded over the years to an mju 700 and then a Fuji F40d. But none of them provided the magic of depth of field and sharpness of a decent lens.
Last year I decided to plump for a digital SLR as prices were now reasonable, however, to be certain I would be happy with the extra size and weight of one I took my SP500 from its hideaway for the last two years and took it on holiday. I was so impressed with the results I knew I had to get the digital. I knew that nothing other than a Pentax would do for me. After about six months of reading up and deliberating I picked up a used ( but very little used - only 230 shutter ops ) K10d from ebay in immaculate condition. I decided from the start I wasn't going to skimp on cheap non Pentax lenses and have in the last couple of months built up my collection of lenses, the pride of which is the SMC Takumar 50 1.4.

So now I just have to learn how to use the K10d and get out there taking beautiful photos again.

I have already gained lots of information from the forum and would like to thank everyone involved.

Cheers.

11-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! It's always great to her when someone learns a lot from the forum

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have you here and hope you continue to enjoy this fine forum.
The K10D is a fine and solid performer. I have fond memories of it when I had one.