Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #1

Greetings from Brisbane, Oz

G'day,

Just an introduction from a newbie that resides in sunny Queensland, Australia. Currently, I don't own a camera and use my spouses or daughters. After years of deliberation and putting it off, am finally about to get my act together and purchase my first DSLR camera. Essentially, my experience extends only to the "point and shoot" variety of cameras, so you'll naturally appreciate that I'm really starting from scratch in regard to photography. Why Pentax, you may ask? Well, years ago, I had an old film camera of that brand. It gave good service, was a quality product and held fond memories. Eventually passed onto my wifes family overseas awhile ago, I expect they're still using it and its still going strong. Anyway that said, I've settled upon the Pentax KR DSLR as a worthy investment for a new camera.

Given my limited experience with DSLR's, I'll pose some questions to the much more experienced members of this forum. Most of my camera use is in the traditional family photos or portrait shots. Occasionally, I'd like to photograph my son at soccer or my daughter at ballet, where greater distances are involved. My original intention was to settle upon the standard 18-55mm kit lens that comes with the camera and purchase a zoom lens at a latter time if required. In my hunt over the internet for prices of the KR, I see an options to purchase "twin kits" which includes an extra lens, usually the 50-200mm or 55-300mm focal lengths? Am unsure whether these are worth the investment as yet and is probably overkill in relation to my current skill and needs. Recently, I've seen a twin kit that offers an additional lens which is 28-105mm at a very reasonable price for my budget. I am sorely tempted to purchase this, as I suspect that this may cover my above requirements, though unsure whether it is a good aquisition in the longterm scheme of things. Unfortunately, I haven't seen much information upon this this lens and am a little concerned that whats supplied in the 28-105mm lens is already serviced by the standard 18-55mm kit lens.

Would the 28-105mm complement the standard KR DSLR camera with the 18-55mm lens?
Is it best to wait and purchase a larger zoom lens at a later date?

Thanyou for the time and any appologies for my newbishness. Am certainly open to professional advice.

Regards,
Vibes

12-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, that is quite an introduction but very interesting. If you are looking at shooting both sport and Ballet you'll need a reasonably fast lens and one that works well in low light because I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy with flashes going off in a Ballet recital. Might pay to look at the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 telephoto which is both fast and works well in a low light situation. If you pose your questions in the Pentax K-R forum I'm sure you'll get plenty of help.
12-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Vibes, those that have the KR seem to be pretty happy with their choice. Especially if your new to DSLR. The kit lens deals are fine to get you started but if you already have a specific purpose in mind already then as eaglem pointed out another lens might be a better option.
The kit lenses (from what I understand) are perfectly functional lenses but will be at the lower price/perfromance end of the product range.

Cheers,
Mike